Same Riders Winning

hovis

Should riders be made to move up a class  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Move up?

• Yes I think they should
    • No, I think they shouldn't

i do not think they should be made to move up. if the rider wishes to then that is fine however, at club level, why should a rider who rides a trial for fun be made to move up just because they are in the top 3? people should not be made to move up if they feel uncomfortble about it. just my veiws :thumbup:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ride clubman(just been doing trials for 10 months now)I aim to get to C grade.

If I ever got to be winning at C grade and they bumped me up to B grade i would give it up.The lines they have to take are just to dangerous.

One of the reasons I took up trials as it was not as dangerous as MX and Enduro.Although I now know that the experts are doing some dangerous things.

this was more aimed at sportsman riders, that have been ridding sportman (& winning) for years.

i did my first trial the other day after a 3 year lay off, and the guy that won was winning sportsman 3 years ago, and he finished on less than 10,

We have some sportsman riders in there 70s(I guess, they sure look old)who have been riding sportsman(clubmen) for years and winning and I don't have a problem with that.

I figure if your in your 70s late 60s if you fall off you have a good chance of breaking bones and various other damage to your body very easily.

I hope I'm still riding at that age but I'm pretty sure i won't be doing anything too difficult.

Edited by bigdamo

I agree it should be your choice to ride for fun instead of working at it so offer to ride outside the points and keep your card at the end, that way the new guys coming through who are working hard to improve their riding get just rewards for their efforts. I'm sure the organisers will have no issue with that.

If you want to appear in the results list then ride in the class your ability dictates

I agree with your sentiment, but I think even better to allow the rider in the results but mark him as OOC (Out of Class). It lets him see his results, and also lets riders in that group know how they compare with a rider who might otherwise be in the next group up.

On the odd occasion I drop down to intermediate and ride OOC, if I have a bit of a niggling injury for instance, or had a very long break.

No fun in winning a class you know you shouldn't be in. A trophy means nothing if you didn't work your nuts off for it.

It's obvious to see that some of you bloke's have gone soft over the holiday's.Why should someone have to ride OOC just because they keep winning in there class and don't want to move up,i'd rather beat a good rider on 5 mark's a couple of time's then think about moving, than beat someone losing 50 mark's and then think about moving up.

The real Problem is everyone want's to win but not put the hard work into it,it's easier to get rid of the one nobody can beat i guess.

The guy we're going on about sound's like a good marker to me, you beat him then your ready to move up or you could stay in that class and keep beating him untill someone under you say's you have to ride OOC or move up.

Edited by bilco

It's obvious to see that some of you bloke's have gone soft over the holiday's.Why should someone have to ride OOC just because they keep winning in there class and don't want to move up,i'd rather beat a good rider on 5 mark's a couple of time's then think about moving, than beat someone losing 50 mark's and then think about moving up.

The real Problem is everyone want's to win but not put the hard work into it,it's easier to get rid of the one nobody can beat i guess.

The guy we're going on about sound's like a good marker to me, you beat him then your ready to move up or you could stay in that class and keep beating him untill someone under you say's you have to ride OOC or move up.

Maybe I'm missing your point here. You're saying that people should be able to stay in a beginner class as long as they want so that other beginners have someone to beat?

It's not us that have gone soft.

It's tough love :D Get your a*** up in to the next group and if you're too much of a pansy to take the next group then stop stockpiling the best beginner awards.

If you're there for fun, do it for fun. If you're there for awards then go and earn the next one.

Why have ability based classes if the top riders don't progress to the next group?

Maybe I'm missing your point here. You're saying that people should be able to stay in a beginner class as long as they want so that other beginners have someone to beat?

It's tough love :D Get your a*** up in to the next group and if you're too much of a pansy to take the next group then stop stockpiling the best beginner awards.

If you're there for fun, do it for fun. If you're there for awards then go and earn the next one.

Why have ability based classes if the top riders don't progress to the next group?

what he said

1whip.gif

I feel quite strongly that there should be no pressure for people to ride harder routes.

What should we say to the reigning Club champion on the Hardest route? "Now you've won our Hard route you have to ride in British Nationals, we don't want you here?"

We all ride for fun. If that fun is riding the easy route, then I have no problem with that.

I feel quite strongly that there should be no pressure for people to ride harder routes.

What should we say to the reigning Club champion on the Hardest route? "Now you've won our Hard route you have to ride in British Nationals, we don't want you here?"

We all ride for fun. If that fun is riding the easy route, then I have no problem with that.

im not on about British Nationals, im on about riders winning the sportsman route, week in week out on less than 10

Did anybody suggest that we should pressure people not to ride a trial because they're winning the expert route???? Some people seem to be able to kick up an argument from nowhere :D Bit of pettiness coming in here I think.

That's EXACTLY what I've said in both my replies which seem to have been half read by at least two people.

If you're riding for FUN, then ride for FUN and don't take an award you don't deserve. Ride whatever route you want and ride out of class.

I'm not answering these as someone who's bitter at not getting some award because of a 'sandbagger'. I'm a (very) near 40 year old fat bugger who rides the expert route. I won't gain from it. I'm trying to be fair to beginners/sportsman/clubman.

To explain again - Let anybody ride any route they like. If they want to win an award, then they should place themselves in a class which suits their ability. If they're constantly winning it suggests they've progressed past that class and should look to move up or let somebody else have a chance at the odd award, or name in the paper, or just their name at the top of the results sheet.

If they're not willing to ride for no award, then they're really not grasping the sporting spirit that I'd like to think most of the trials community can conjur up from time to time.

Disclaimer: This applies to "Ability based classes" like Sportsman, Clubman, Novice, Intermediate etc. That's the whole idea of it. The age related and machine related classes such as over-40, over-50, twinshock, pre-65, you're either eligible or you're not so i can't see any argument about same riders winning.

I think it has to be a common sense thing. Just because some bloke wins a few trials doesn't mean he automatically gets thrust in to the class above. Maybe there was a low entry level. But the original question related to the same riders winning all the time and i don't think my replies could have been much fairer.

In fact I've just voted and therefore seen the results so far and 80% of people seem to have gone with - make them move up.

I suspect that a large percentage of these would have gone for a third option:

Move up or ride on a none award basis.

I suspect that some of the other 20% would go for this too.

Maybe we should re-do the poll with the third option and see how many go for it?

Edited by bikespace

Yes, I agree. The debate would be completely different if the poll was -

1- Allowed to keep on winning trophies on the easy route, year on year.

or

2- Once won, the easy route can only be ridden for no award.

As I've said previously, I strongly feel that riders should not be made to ride a harder route. But this is just my opinion and I'm sorry if you consider me to be petty in expressing this view.

We had a certain current world champion and his minder turn up and ride at a Wednesday night easy trial last year. With a sidecar outfit. They quit after a couple of sections :D

Although sidecar trials is a very different sport, I tried it once..... how on earth do they do that? :huh: