What's The Difference?

boner

2002 was the year for the most improvements for the mont 315. new frame, better geometry, longer travel rear end , new shock, kinkage, new dellorto carby, new brakes, on and on. lots of new bits.

the 02 is the one to go for mate.

hey murph, why post when you aint gotta a clue ?

Thanks for the replies guys. Found a nice 2001 just up the road, but think I'll hold out for a 2002.

As for the link Scorpa3 - interesting reading, thanks. That said the Scorpa SY beats all the other bikes, hands down.

Which doesn't help matters, as I was considering one of those instead of the Mont...

Decisions!!!! :D

Not Huge, but the 02 had a sharper steering angle (better steering, especially compared to the "Blue snowplow") and more power.

02 seemed to have a heavier front end and tracked very well...01 was a bit lighter at the front therefore didn't track as well but was easier to lift..so it's horses for courses.

I wasn't aware of the other changes listed until 03 when the porting and piston? were changed and this made the bike more frisky.

By the time I had realized how good the 03 changes were I couldn't buy one for love or money.

I was told by Adrian Lewis of lewisport that there were no such change in porting or piston. The only real changes that I know of are changes in the brakes. The frames are identical from '98 exept for a little extra weld close to the head stock. The shock linkage is still the same even on the 4rt. If the '01 is in good shape and cheap buy it. The '01 has a 4 piston caliper on the front where th '00 has a 2. If I was going to buy another 315R I would go for an '04 because it's newer than the rest.

I forgot to mention that the carb change was in '01 also. I had to work on my '00 carb some to get it right. I have no experience with the newer carb, but have heard that its fine.

Edit:

I just found that the frame was changed in '01 according to apexmotorsports.

Edited by Neil King

We have a dealer over here (don't know if I can mention him as he isn't a site sponsor)who sold a lot of ''2003 porting-spec'' cylinder jackets for pre 2003 bikes.

I'm not the worlds best test rider but I tried a couple of 2003 315s and they had a very clean pick up and were free reving compared to any previous 315s I tried.

I'm sure the only difference between the 2003 and 2004 models were the plastics but these bikes were the finest 315s. IMHO :thumbup:

Hi All

I've had an 01 and currently got an 04. There was a couple of years gap between me having the 01 and

the 04 so could'nt do a back to back test but my 04 certainly has plenty of juice... Best thing about it

is I'm away a lot with work so only get chance to ride every couple of months and it allways starts

second kick!!

Most people when I'm oot on it say what a nice bike it is and they wishe they had'nae got shot of their

old un

Cheers

B