04 Rev'3 Not Revving Cleanly

scorpion

Does it clear up after a couple of WFO twists of the loud handle? Maybe its just time for a fresh plug or fresh gas - both will do wonders for a two-stroke. On the other hand you might want to think about a change to a leaner pilot jet and/or main jet. A rich pilot circuit will continually add too much fuel and make the machine burble when you yank the throttle.

If you haven't yet, pop the bowl off the carb and let us know what pilot jet and main jet numbers you're running. I'm running a #27.5 pilot jet and a #145 main jet in my REV-3 250.

OBTW, change your personal settings to show where you're located.

I'm having the same problems with my 04 250. Notice it more when engine is under load.........i.e. a long hill climb in 3rd or 4th. Played around & changed the plug to a BPR6EGP ( I think).........Also checked & reset the float settings & mixture settings.......( well Outlaw did anyways) Seems to be better but will know more after this weekends trial. New jetting will be next.

I was told by the US Beta importer that they come from the factory jetted rich and that you need to re-jet after initial break in. Call Ron Commo if you can and he will tell you the preferred jetting.

:hyper:

Thanks guys clarkp , sorry about that i'm in the uk , taff, that's exactly whats happening with mine,copemech who's ron commo is he a member on the board? just cleaned my bike tonight will find out what jets are in it at the weekend, just found out one of the mates rev'3's been nicked today, robbing little ****s !

Ron Commo is at the youth nationals. His sugested jetting for the U.S is 27.5 piolet & a 145 main. It will depend on your location as far as what is needed, alt. temp. If you get a chance try a set of V-Force reeds they are fantastic.

dont know wether anyone makes any sense of this but i think the main is 150 and on the slider it says 2.0 are these jets ok ? also it conked out on me tonight took the old plug out ( champion N7YCC) and best describe it as black and oily put a new plug in from lampkins (beta importer) NGK BP5ES and it started first kick been running my mixture at 70:1 any ideas anyone? regards mick.

Spark plugs lose their starch sometimes, they're cheap... change them out. I never tackle a two-stroke engine issue without starting with a fresh plug and fresh gas. Sounds like you may have had a plug that was on its last legs.

We've given you lots of ideas... check your jetting, put in a new plug, and start with fresh gas. You THINK the main jet is a #150... well, is it? And by 'slider' I'm guessing you mean the throttle slide?! The throttle slide cut-away shouldn't be of concern and don't change the jet needle or clip position.

You also haven't told us what your pilot jet is - this is one of the most important jets on a Beta. Here is where the jets are:

Dsc04372.jpg

Use a small flat screwdriver to remove the pilot jet and document its number. Also document how many turns out your pilot air screw is - mine is at 1-3/4 turns out.

Is your machine is a 250 or a 270 - the 145 main jet and 27.5 pilot jet should put you right on, especially with fresh gas and a fresh plug.

We can be of more help when we have your baseline jetting. Also, keep a file on your computer of all your carb settings AND document your changes so you always have a history of where you were and where you are now.

clarkp, as you've guessed, my mechanical skills are limited, things tend not to go back together, the same as they came apart.didn't even know there was a jet in there, and after the trouble i had putting the rubber hose from the airbox to the carb, i aint looking forward to finding out! Thanks for the detailed reply i'll see if the new plug has made a difference and let you know regards mick.

think i've sussed my bike,with it not revving cleanly, i've opened the air screw to 2 full turns out, seems to have made it run alot sweeter at high revs, (before at high revs it blubbered, sounded like the choke was on) if anyone elses is abit that way try adjusting the air.