Trials Clothing? Help Me I'm New To This!

enduromonkey

Hello all. Fairly new to this Trials business. I mainly race Enduro or Motocross, but i have a few mates who take their Trials pretty seriously. After much trying, they talked me in to buying a trials bike. Their reasons being that they claim it would help improve my balence for Enduro and general bike skills. Turns out not only were they right but i now enjoy trials more than i ever thought i would. Starting Trials was the best thin i ever did!

Anywho. My question is this: So far i have been using either my motocross gear or (laugh if you like!!) combats and an Enduro jacket! Not only does it not feel comfortable but my mates, who only do trials, take the michael! So i'm going to buy some 'proper' trials gear. They all wear 1 peice body suits and claim they are by far the best thing. What do you guys think?? Which are the best to go for?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My own opinion (before i get flamed) but one piece suits look 1) Gay and 2) like fancy dress for a power rangers party. Its hard to carry off a spandex leotard, regardless of how comfortable it might be :thumbup: I'm lookin at buying a pair of trials trousers at the minute, but i'll stick to MX tops for the forseeable future as they're pretty much exactly the same as the trials equivalents but half the price.

From a purely aesthetic point of view I would say unless you have a great bod - go for two pieces. There's nothing worse, from a women's point of view, than a big beer belly going round in a tight lycra one-piece! Only entertaining for so long!! Also you can mix and match tops and bottoms and get several outfits!

On a more serious note, my better half (who also used to ride enduros and tried using the same gear) says the best change he made was getting trials boots, much easier than heavy enduro-style boots.

Hope this helps!!

Hilly. :thumbup:

Thanks so far. Just like to add that (carefull not to sound full of my self!!) I'm quite aethletic(11stone) and only 25 so there will be no beer belly!! YET anyway! I take on board the 'look gay' comments, but with the right ones i think look kinda cool! Might just be me!! (not gay, honest) Keep it comin guys and girls. need all the help i can get. Also.. arent trials bottoms just as tight and 'gay' as the bottom half of the suit? I dont want baggy.

Also.. What boots would you recomend?

Edited by enduromonkey

They are, but the slightly looser top and the addition of a waistband breaks up the gayness a bit :thumbup: Completely agree about the trials boots though - i tried riding in MX boots and it was a nightmare. My ridings improved in leaps and bounds (no pun intended) since i bought myself a decent set of trials boots. I plumped for Forma Gripper 2's mostly because they fitted my limited budget, but 3 weeks on i absolutely rate them. Very comfortable, nice grippy sole for muddy slope/trying to stop my Beta rolling back down kinda grip, and well put together. On ebay for

Edited by lucky7s

Good riders tend to wear one piece outfits so if you are wearing a one piece, people will expect you to be pretty good. If you are not, expect some serious p*** taking from the trials fraternity :thumbup:

You have been warned! :o

Not only does it not feel comfortable but my mates, who only do trials, take the michael!

I can't keep up with the slang on one continent. I'm curious (and will probably regrets asking) what this phrase means.

Oh, and lightweight (not heavily armored) MX pants work fine. I've been using ATV boots (with a treaded sole and heel) for now, and they work ok. Need to save up for some Gaernes.

Sounds like my mates are the only ones who wear one piece!? Whats the advantage supposed to be? Although i'll never be anything like half their skill level, all the pro's must wear them for a reason? :o What make of gear do you recomend anyway? 1&2 piece?

I guess its to do with freedom of movement, nothing flapping or liable to get caught up on anything......and the fact that pro's are sponsored and get them for free :D

Hebo or XC-Ting seem among the most popular. I went for Alpinestars racer enduro's though. Same sort of pricerange but heavier weight - i'm new to trials and fall off a lot :thumbup:

Edited by lucky7s