Do You All Struggle To Get Your 4rt In Neutral

jza

If i ride in a trial (hang around in sections waiting to go) and the bike gets "hot" i ALWAYS struggle to get the bike in neutral.

The symtoms are - i ride to the next section. i switch the bike off in gear and leave it againt a tree to walk the section (it needs to be in gear so it doesnt run off :rolleyes:).

I come back to the bike.

I try and get it in neutral.

It will kind of get there - but jump back in gear if i roll the bike forward a foot.

I try again.

I cant get it in - so resort to trying to start in gear which usually takes a good few minutes of bashing on the gear lever.

I noticed on someone elses 4RT that it was difficult as well so assumed its a case of "they all do that sir".

Do they all do that? if not - what's going on? Its a 2005 4RT :shutup:

Jza

If i ride in a trial (hang around in sections waiting to go) and the bike gets "hot" i ALWAYS struggle to get the bike in neutral.

The symtoms are - i ride to the next section. i switch the bike off in gear and leave it againt a tree to walk the section (it needs to be in gear so it doesnt run off :rolleyes:).

I come back to the bike.

It will kind of get there - but jump back in gear if i roll the bike forward a foot.

I try again.

I cant get it in - so resort to trying to start in gear which usually takes a good few minutes of bashing on the gear lever.

I noticed on someone elses 4RT that it was difficult as well so assumed its a case of "they all do that sir".

Do they all do that? if not - what's going on? Its a 2005 4RT :shutup:

Jza

I have the same prob. Bit anoying. Mine Is an 08.

Edited by Slapshot 3
merged posts

Having had montesas for 10 years I'm afraid to say that I think they're all the same - the 315 had a similar problem. I once mentioned it to Martin Lampkin to ask the factory to fix it and he said "ay al' tell em" - not sure if he remembered though!

You have three possible solutions

1) use elf gearbox oil - costs a fortune but does work to a certain extent, but doesn't completely remove it (try BVM)

2) I'm told that Mitani clutch plates completely remove the problem ( approx

Wicked thanks guys.... i guess its just normal and im not looking at a new gearbox which is nice.

Jza

P.S. I find that starting the bike in gear when its hot takes a lot more effort than when its in neutral...

08 clutch is beautiful, really light too

use elf oil in gearbox

make sure clutch adjustment leaves a little free play

when in gear give a whiff of throttle and it'll start no problem, when in nuetral no throttle

if bike stops mid section, i.e. with throttle open, fully open throttle and kick over once slowly,

this resets the throttle body which obviosly still thinks its running in open position,

shut throttle and kick over, or slight amount of throttle if in gear

05 4rt - 06 clutch

Always stop bike with stop button. If you stall slow kick with throttle open, snap throttle open and shut and press stop button.

ATF gives good clutch feel at a lot less than elf.

Bike should start in gear when warm, if cold should tap in to neutral easy, if struggling use your hand to find neutral before trying to start the bike.

Both 315 and 4rt definitely not the worse for finding neutral in my opinion. Maybe just a knack. Knock down to 1st and a gentle tap with the heel back to neutral.

Good Luck

Elf Oil + Mitani plates = trouble free clutch & gearchange, starts in gear, selects neutral at will.

They came with the Elf oil, why didn't they come with the decent plates?

A clutch master cylinder off a 315 gives a nicer & more progressive action due to the smaller bore, but you then really need the Elf Oil & Mitani plates or the clutch drag becomes an intolerable pain.

Elf Oil + Mitani plates = trouble free clutch & gearchange, starts in gear, selects neutral at will.

They came with the Elf oil, why didn't they come with the decent plates?

A clutch master cylinder off a 315 gives a nicer & more progressive action due to the smaller bore, but you then really need the Elf Oil & Mitani plates or the clutch drag becomes an intolerable pain.

08 is much better apparently clutchwise, I havn't touched mine apart from one oil change and everyone thats ridden it says the clutch is much better than previous years. Think trw and hrc use narrow hydraulic cable in theirs.

Makes no difference whether stopped on button or stalled. Reset technique I use all the time if it doesn't start in two kicks, but havn't tried wiff of throttle, will do this.

The symtoms are - i ride to the next section. i switch the bike off in gear and leave it againt a tree to walk the section (it needs to be in gear so it doesnt run off :banana2:).

I come back to the bike.

I try again.

Do they all do that? if not - what's going on? Its a 2005 4RT :wall:

Jza

............well, you've hit my pet peeve with the 4rt...how can you charge $10,000 for a bike that won't go into noootral and has a motocross clutch???

I've done all the mods....and its still mediocre.........mitani plates a must ...and you gotta spend the money on that elf oil!!

I find I can get into noootral when engines hot and running , ,so you should find noootral when running, then turn off ...come back later.will always start in neutral...but touchy when in gear

I have an 05....I'd buy a o7 or an o8 ......except I've spent so much on this rig , ...but she's running great except for clutch ................................massso