Chain Tool

eiger

Evening folks. We've got a decent but large sized chain splitter but I used to have a smaller bum-bag sized one with a 10mm bolt which is machined at the end for the chain pins and the overall size was less than a matchbox, anyone know where I can get another one from?

Searched everywhere but no luck so far.

Thanks Eiger

try hallfords they seem to have a good range of tools/you might hit lucky.if not try off road mountain bike dealears on web seem to have a larger selection of tools ie compact for ya bum bag.good luck :mellow:

Bicycle ones are no use whatsoever, a trials chain is the wrong pitch to grip in a cycle tool, the pins are too stiff to move with a cycle tool. If anyone has positive experience with one which type, I've gone through about half a dozen of the damn things

I know mean, if it is the same as mine it is a machined block of steel with a cut out for the chain to sit in, the pin is pushed out by a bolt. You used to get them from www.dirtbikestore.co.uk but they don't seem to sell them now. If it was for a specific trial (i.e SSDT) I'd be happy to lend you mine, or even if you knew a steel workers etc you could get it copied?

Thanks folks, had a look at that site but still don't show the one I had which was machined from a small block of steel and had a hardened steel machined bolt which pushed the pin out. Cheers for the offer Boofont but a mate (locally known as leafy!!) has one which used to be mine a while back so I can get that copied. Cracking bit of kit and better than lugging a full size splitter round with you.

Eiger

Thanks folks, had a look at that site but still don't show the one I had which was machined from a small block of steel and had a hardened steel machined bolt which pushed the pin out. Cheers for the offer Boofont but a mate (locally known as leafy!!) has one which used to be mine a while back so I can get that copied. Cracking bit of kit and better than lugging a full size splitter round with you.

Eiger

Eiger,

I think I know exactly the one you mean. It was a small machined cube with a strong short bolt with the end machined narrow and was small enough that you could mount it on the clutch cable if you wanted to. I looked all over the Internet and didn't find one so I imagine that having one machined is the best bet. Handy little boogers they were, and I bet I've got one (or two) somewhere in my old gear.

Good luck.

Jon

Eiger,

I think I know exactly the one you mean. It was a small machined cube with a strong short bolt with the end machined narrow and was small enough that you could mount it on the clutch cable if you wanted to. I looked all over the Internet and didn't find one so I imagine that having one machined is the best bet. Handy little boogers they were, and I bet I've got one (or two) somewhere in my old gear.

Good luck.

Jon

I'm like Jon, had one many years ago, someone probably borrowed it! Along with the cable oiler(thankfully i don't need that)!

The push pin has to be very hard tool steel and the body must be hard as well!