315 Gearbox Oil

dr nick

As the title says really.

I`m going to have to buy online and may be up for a change of brand from my usual I`ve been using, I`m interested to note what oil you lot use, or recommend

There are a variety of different brands, and costs. The HRC recommended one is the ELF one, but at

• 3 weeks later...

I need to know how much oil and how to check level. Just got this beauty and want to start out fresh. I will search for a manuel when I have time.

thanks for any help, Garfield

use 500 ml. The only way to check it is to drain it.

The Montesa manual for my '03, 315R says use 520 ml for an oil change after draining old oil. However, use 550ml if the engine has been disassembled and then reassembled.

I too have problem in sourcing the Elf oil. Cost is nearly 30 Pound for two litres and needs to be ordered in. P The problem is that the Elf packaging does not detail the viscosity of the oil. Otherwise it would be easy to find a replacement for it in another brand.

The Montesa manual for my '03, 315R says use 520 ml for an oil change after draining old oil. However, use 550ml if the engine has been disassembled and then reassembled.

I too have problem in sourcing the Elf oil. Cost is nearly 30 Pound for two litres and needs to be ordered in. P The problem is that the Elf packaging does not detail the viscosity of the oil. Otherwise it would be easy to find a replacement for it in another brand.

The reason for using 500ml is so you can get 4 changes out of a bottle of elf. Some of the technical data is available on their web site. Mobil synthetic atf (if I remember correctly) is close to the same viscocity. I tried it, but didn't like it. I tried GM auto trac II and it works fair. I mixed the auto trac with elf and that works pretty well also.