A New Class ?

steve fracy

Hey Guys:

After riding Ishy's little Scorpa 4 banger a week ago, I got to thinking about how impressed I was with it! What a fun little bike. It also made me think that for once it would be cool to have a displacement class (125) or, some sort of a IROC serie's format at the Nationals or in some of the regional serie's. A class where everyone is riding the same displacement of bike. Obviously at this point, Scorpa would have the 4s 125 market cornered, but if some of the other manufacturers got into making affordable entry level 4s bikes that would be competitive also, would sure make for some good fun, and open up a whole new market for people who want to ride and compete without going the full-on modern bike!

Another idea along the lines of the IROC race series, would be to get a bunch of the old star's from the past together and compete against each other on identically prepared machines!! :rolleyes:

Just some ideas on how to have even more fun on the bike!

Cheers, Steve

Interesting idea Steve. It is a shame that the trials arena doesn't contain the buck necessary for one of the distributors, or bike manufactures to supply a stable of equally prepared bikes for such an event. It would be great fun to watch for sure. Think about the old IROC events, or even the Toyota celebrity races, and how many bucks go into that just for the sake of advertising. It is a shame our sport is not on that same level.

Isn't the Scorpa 4-stroke neat? Everyone is quick to offer negative opinions, until they ride one. It is definitely not just a "trailbike", as many of the nay-sayers want it to be. While competitive stock, the 143cc kit with B&J Racing mods (http://www.bjracing.com/sy125f.htm), really bring it to life.

Spoke to Bob Ginder, of B&J, at the Mid-Ohio AHRMA event, and he said that he will soon be testing a 160cc mod on his. It will be intersting to see where this goes. It is amazing how closely this parallels the modifications, and even displacement levels, done to the old Honda TL125. Only this time, we have a competitive weight and chassis.

Bob was quite convinced that he would stay with the 125 vs the 250 2-stroke, listing the ease of not dealing with premix, no water pumps to go out, no radiators to drain and clean, no radiator hoses to damage, etc.

From what I gather, the NATC are pleased with the fact that any rider can ride any capacity of machine in any given class they are allowed to ride in.

But this doesn't stop a group of riders saying lets use the support class or expert support class has a base to run a 125 championship, all thats needed is the riders and the machines.

This could be done for a twin-shock class or 4 stroke, all you need is the group to agree on what they will ride for the season, and all cough up a bit for a nice trophy at the end of the year.

Isn't the Scorpa 4-stroke neat?  Everyone is quick to offer negative opinions, until they ride one.  It is definitely not just a "trailbike", as many of the nay-sayers want it to be.

I love riding mine DG, I think for club trials it's the perfect tool.

Always makes me smile when I have a better ride than a someone else on the latest all singing Two smoke machine :rolleyes:

I'm finding it really shine's in rocky streams, the mellowness of the motor is spot on for the Welsh rockery I tend to ride up, pop here in Bottom gear and let the bike do the rest.

Long drag wet muddy hill climbs are probably it's only weak spot.

Laters

As the new model year approaches, I am very curious to see if Scorpa will release a larger displacement 4-stroke in both air-cooled and water-cooled versions.

I could very easily see the air-cooled TTR-225 engine showing up in a bike, along side a newly developed water-cooled 250 or 300, for those that just absolutely think they can't live without the latest technology.

Everyone is freaking out over how much maintenance they think the new 4-strokes will need. Instead, consider how little maintenance the trailbike based TTR-125 and TTR-225 engines need, plus no radiator, water pump, hoses, fluid, premix, etc.

The little 125 has already proven that it is up to the task, with rider ego being it's biggest challenge to overcome. For us "larger" folks, who would like a little more displacement, the 225cc engine would probably be spot on.

Heck, I would almost prefer that they don't come out with a water-cooled engine! :rolleyes: