2 Stroke Oil ?

1sherco1

Guest majestyman340

I have been using Castrol TT for many years with no problems at all................not sure you really need costly synthetic oils in trials bikes?

Sherco recommends using 93 octane gas mixed at a ratio of 80:1. Definitely recommend synthetic two-stroke oil (even for a trials bike) due to better lubricating qualities and cleaner burning.

As far as brands go, there are many that are suitable, but we have had the best luck over the years using Red Line's Two-Stroke Racing oil. Motul and Maxima both make good products as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Ryan Young suggests 80:1 . Alot of people including experts use up to 100:1. I know two guys with 2001 321 gassers that have run 100:1 every weekend from new to this day and engines are still strong. 50:1 will clog the exhaust alot faster and reduce power. I replaced the mid silencer on my old 2000 290 that the previous owner ran at 50:1 and it made a big difference to the power. I now run motorex full synth 80:1 up to 100:1 in an 08 290.

Ryan Young suggests 80:1 . Alot of people including experts use up to 100:1. I know two guys with 2001 321 gassers that have run 100:1 every weekend from new to this day and engines are still strong. 50:1 will clog the exhaust alot faster and reduce power. I replaced the mid silencer on my old 2000 290 that the previous owner ran at 50:1 and it made a big difference to the power. I now run motorex full synth 80:1 up to 100:1 in an 08 290.

I tend to agree, the old factory spec would likely be for bean oil, not modern synthetics. It has been proven time and again that a good oil at 80 to 1 is totally sufficient up to and including world class level riding. 100:1 works fine for the average punter!

Unless you plan on roadracing, stay lean= stay clean! :hyper:

What's the worst thing which happens if you put too much oil? Exhaust clogging. Can be solved with burning, or repacking the exhaust.

What's the worst thing which happens if you put too less oil? Piston wear, cylinder wear, big end, small end bearings gone, main bearings gone. Can be solved by buying main bearings and seals, big end bearings (needs rebuilding the con-rod), small end bearings, replating the nikasil plated cylinder, top end and bottom end gaskets, and buying a new piston.

You choose.

Edited by fkrisztian

What's the worst thing which happens if you put too much oil? Exhaust clogging. Can be solved with burning, or repacking the exhaust.

What's the worst thing which happens if you put too less oil? Piston wear, cylinder wear, big end, small end bearings gone, main bearings gone. Can be solved by buying main bearings and seals, big end bearings (needs rebuilding the con-rod), small end bearings, replating the nikasil plated cylinder, top end and bottom end gaskets, and buying a new piston.

You choose.

Well, I can tell you, the worst thing that can happen it that one of your riding buddies comes over and breaks your bloody nose just after you decide to clear out that smoking POS while sitting in the que and forgot about those behind you! That would probably give you a bit of a different attitude!

Secondly, excess oil is not ECO friendly and you are much more likely to foul sparkies!

Thirdly, you do not JUST repack a Sherco exhaust, chances are you buy a new one after you have knackered yours up!

And lastly, the chances of you screwing your motor due to poor maintenance practice or water ingestion are probably 100 times greater than having oil related issues at 80:1 or even 100:1 using quality oil, go figure! :hyper:

Well, I can tell you, the worst thing that can happen it that one of your riding buddies comes over and breaks your bloody nose just after you decide to clear out that smoking POS while sitting in the que and forgot about those behind you! That would probably give you a bit of a different attitude!

Secondly, excess oil is not ECO friendly and you are much more likely to foul sparkies!

Thirdly, you do not JUST repack a Sherco exhaust, chances are you buy a new one after you have knackered yours up!

And lastly, the chances of you screwing your motor due to poor maintenance practice or water ingestion are probably 100 times greater than having oil related issues at 80:1 or even 100:1 using quality oil, go figure! :hyper:

COMPLETELY AGREE!

I have a Yamaha TY250 Twinshock which I run on AMSOIL SABER PROFESSIONAL at 100:1.

This machine has a 30 year old aircooled engine that still has the standard 70mm bore. And despite regularly riding it on the road, the engine is absolutely fine.

There is no excuse these days for running any more than 80:1 if you are using a quality fully synthetic oil.

If you're still using a semi or even worse, a mineral oil at 50:1 or more, then all you are doing is clogging the bikes exhaust, choking your friends, ruining the enviroment for all and giving ALL TWO STROKES a bad name to the point that all we'll be able to ride on in the near future is modern Four strokes.

Think about it. This is the Twenty First Century after all.

Edited by mollygreen