Starting Out

shercoman2k8

Hi There find out your local clubs and go and have a look at what levels of trials they run lots of clubs run beginner and novice trials which are aimed at riders who are just starting out. You will need to join a club and then get your ACU licence before you are able to compete.

As stated, you will need an ACU licence which is straightforward and simple to get.

Many trials are not just aimed at youth riders, so don't limit yourself to just youth events.

Most club trials will have several routes through each section, you can pick the degree of difficulty you feel suits your abilities. Providing there is no road work the secretary will welcome your entry.

As you are about to be 13 you will be in youth B class, you'll be in this class for 2009 & 2010. The ACU limit you to a 125 until you are out of youth trials, which will not be until 2013, so plenty of time to hone your skills.

The obsticals you ride through/over are no different in youth events to adult ones. Many of the youth competitors put the adults to shame, it's not about age, it's about ability. If you're good enough, you're old enough. Start on the easy route and go from there.

Have fun.

P.S. What area are you in ?

im in the lochaber area of scotland!

thanks for the reply.

i have been on the acu website and downloaded the forms for the liscense. i will contact my 3 local clubs when i next get some free time. (third year choices for school) i have the lochaber and district mcc, mallaig and district mmc and most likely one for me to apply for my membership is kinlochleven trials club!!

i will post here again if i need more help

once again thanks, jamie ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Join the Lochaber & district MCC they will give you a form for a SACU licence there next trial is the Ian pollock National at Kinlochleven come along and have a look.

can i ask when this trial is so i can come and watch. This is my best option before i join the club so i can see what the guys ride like.

could you please give me a list of the youth members in the club?

Most clubs don't publish member lists, especially of Youth Members. However going along and chatting to the ones that are there will be useful. Whatever you do enjoy it. Don't worry about how good you are if you enjoy the ride just keep going back for more!!

• 2 weeks later...