Question For The Acu

spud

Hello,

I'm looking into holding a three round championship which would have enduro bikes and trials riders riding in this competition together. The event will be speed related, with sections (riders will be able to walk the sections) and riders will be timed to see who is quickest to finish.

The sections will be marked as per the trials marking system (TSR) with a slight difference. For example if a rider were to put his/her foot down in a trial once then this would normally be a one mark loss, the difference is instead of a one mark loss like in a trial the one foot down in this competition would result a one minute time penalty added to there overall finishing time. Like wise with a two feet down its a two minute penalty and so on.

So would the ACU provide a permit and insurance and what would be the costs?... and what type of CofC would i require?

thanks,

...and what fun they were! 6 riders in a section at once, mayhem for the poor observers but a couple of hours of flat out riding. I seem to recall that Milton Buzzards ran one once at Bleak Hall, Leavesden used to run one (remember them...) but I think that the Brill mudfest was always the best - followed by the pub afterwards.

Shame they don't get run anymore - so maybe they might catch on again? In the past it was just the one course with all riders doing the same sections - is that the plan for this type of event?

I can't see the MX bikes bringing anything other than additional entries and a lot of noise! Still, a few tough sections and they would at least provide some grip ;-)

Hi Spud

You do have a few options.

I assume you are an ACU Club/Centre.

As others have said - Time & Observation trials were quite popular some years back - I know I rode quite a few in the Bristol area and I also remember competruing in the Tanner Trudge which was a very famous one .

I am fairly sure they still some T & O in this part of world.

The Scott of course still the real big one.

It does seem however that you wish something different from normal time and observation - and if this is the case - we have a possible solution in the form of a " Special Event " Permit - which is basically for any event that does not fall neatly into a normal Trial or Enduro category.

All you need to do in first instance is draw up some basic regulations ( do not be to fussy at this point) - just explaining what you have in mind - and how it will all work.

If it makes some sort of sense - and there are no worries re safety issues etc - I am sure we can sort it all out with you - and arrabhe suitable insurance

I cannot stress enough however how helpful it will be for you to consult with local Clubs/Centre as they will be able to assist in many ways

Several years ago I rode a welsh clubs 3 stage trial which was a little similar to your idea.

I think we did 3 lots of 3 laps (9 laps in total) probably 3 to 4 mile lap and say 10 sections.

First 3 laps timed only but riding through sections

second 3 laps time and observation

and final 3 laps observation only. It was a cracking event with enduro, trials and trail bikes. I think the final results was a good mix.

Good luck as it is always very enjoyable to do something different.l

As others have said - Time & Observation trials were quite popular some years back - I know I rode quite a few in the Bristol area and I also remember competruing in the Tanner Trudge which was a very famous one .

I am fairly sure they still some T & O in this part of world.

Hey all

T&O are still very popular in the Bristol area running one every 2 weeks or so. Just a shame NSMCC lost use of Tanner Trudge but I have many fond memories of my dad and brother struggling through the mud. May even have some pictures around somewhere if people are interested.

Anyways, I digress.

Sounds like a great idea Spud. My club, NSMCC, run T&O a little differently than you are proposing but I can still see it working very well.

Due to the amount of people wanting to ride we limit entries to only 60 as so to alleviate bottlenecks and make life easier for observers. We have a good mix of enduro and trials bikes. Probably about 20 Enduro bikes per event but some venues are quite wide open so they attract more Enduro bikes. We find its a good mix and if anything attracts the more talented Enduro riders and trials riders, most notably Andy Frost from this area and more recently Mark Hucklebridge.

One thing you do need to take into account is that sections need to be left wide open due to the poor turning circle of the enduro bikes and to avoid bottle necks. We never really struggle with observers missing anything as are marking is different from normal trials which makes life easier on them:

0 = clean

3 = 1 foot down to numerous feet down, paddle your way out of a section if you wish

5 = crash, stall, having to get off the bike or ride out of the section

Our timing system is also different in that the fastest rider sets standard time, 0 points and then for every 30 second after that every other rider has 1 point added onto their score. This gives a best overall performance of speed and technical ability.

I do not know how we run under the ACU permits etc but i hope this post has given you some insight.

Have fun

Scott :rolleyes:

thanks for all your replies.

I can see i've a long way to go and many problems to overcome. My own clubs committee will need to agree before any of my ideas are to go forward. My venue's will be three new venue's currently not in use and must be over 100 acres per site(bit of a tall order) but this is something i want for this is new in my centre and new land will attract more riders. I may limit the number of riders, and noise testing of bikes i'll be speaking to friends in Enduro circles for advice. I see one of the most difficult areas of this type of event being the course. The enduro boys should not have an advantage nor should the Trials boys. I like the sound of free for all in the sections as riders can ride the section as soon as they get there so to stop queueing, but the poor observers will need easy sections to observe.

so i guess i can only say 'watch this space' my first two important hurdles (if they are hurdles) are my club to say yes and finding the land.

thanks for all your replies.

I can see i've a long way to go and many problems to overcome. My own clubs committee will need to agree before any of my ideas are to go forward. My venue's will be three new venue's currently not in use and must be over 100 acres per site(bit of a tall order) but this is something i want for this is new in my centre and new land will attract more riders. I may limit the number of riders, and noise testing of bikes i'll be speaking to friends in Enduro circles for advice. I see one of the most difficult areas of this type of event being the course. The enduro boys should not have an advantage nor should the Trials boys. I like the sound of free for all in the sections as riders can ride the section as soon as they get there so to stop queueing, but the poor observers will need easy sections to observe.

so i guess i can only say 'watch this space' my first two important hurdles (if they are hurdles) are my club to say yes and finding the land.

Have you seen the scott in real life?