Miller Hi Boy Frame Relaunched.

andy m

I may be behind the times here but I have just read that SM Products are to remake a limited number of the Hi boy frame for the TL125. What with all the bickering going on re the re launch of other frames and chassis etc etc how many I wonder will be built using 125 motors. Also there are going to be some "modifications" to the new frames. There are bound to be TLR200 motors used and many other components that were not around back in the day so where will these fit in I wonder. Personally it doesn't bother me what folk use I really don't give a monkeys,just good to see folks out there riding and having a good day, but there are those that will throw their teddies out of the pram when the new generation Hi boys turn up. :D

On another thread on here someone is asking should Scorpa 125s be banned from a/c mono class, so you get my drift. :thumbup:

PS Andy where is the emoticon for cat amongst pigeons. :hyper:

Edited by bo drinker

Had a Miller framed 325 Bulto around 1965, started of with a proper 325 Bultaco after regular use for a season, was looking a bit tatty, so decided to swap into a miller kit. This was one of the worst decisions I ever made. The bike when finished looked absolutely fantastic, plated frame, alloy tank/seat unit (painted in bulto colours), miller top yoke and the very latest 'trick' american plastic levers. First time out the 'trick' miller top yoke, which was a cast aluminium design, that put the handlebars futher back, broke in half. OK

Edited by ask greeves

With all the recent discussion and talk over frames, head angles, footpegs and geometry it can only be said GOOD LUCK to anyone who wants one. I had an original from Sammy with the 325 motor after trading in the 72 Bultaco, which I considered to be near perfect! The Hi-boy frame looked gorgeous, obviously had a ton of ground clearance, the green/cream tank unit really did make it as Greeves says the "Canine Testicles" but it was nearly impossible to ride as the footrests were too high and too far forward..... of course we didn't know about those things back then. I went over the bars more times than I care to remember. Strangely having just had the same problem with a Sammy framed Cub the footrests were 2 inches too high and 2 inches too far forward. Good luck with the frame, maybe ideal if you are 5' 2'' tall!

Tony

Edited by tony283

Bo Drinker, i'm not suggesting that modern scorpa's be banned, but the current discussion re: modern built (i.e. non-period) twinshocks could also apply to the air cooled mono class which i suggest was probably intended for period air cooled monos, not new build.

Only adding to discussion, not wanting to ruin people's enjoyment. :hyper:

Bo Drinker, i'm not suggesting that modern scorpa's be banned, but the current discussion re: modern built (i.e. non-period) twinshocks could also apply to the air cooled mono class which i suggest was probably intended for period air cooled monos, not new build.

Only adding to discussion, not wanting to ruin people's enjoyment. :hyper:

I've got to say , I try and respond to any persons input, not by a knee jerk reaction to what's been written, but by my lifes experiences and observations... The trouble is, there is no definitive set of rules for pre 65, twin shock or air cooled mono, and until such time , as we ALL get ourselves in gear and get it sorted, there will always be conjecture. I have a very good example of how a definitive rule has 'at a stroke' stopped conjecture. I was considering entering pre 65 Scottish on my ceriani forked Anglian, the rules by the powers that be, are banana forks allowed, no cerianis. My point is a 'line in the sand' has been drawn, and we all have to abide by it. With regard to air cooled mono's, it's exactly what it say's on the box, so yes little scorpas OK...did you know a scorpa has won this championship in the past. Twinshock should be sorted ASAP, time is the biggest enemy, the longer it's left, the harder it will be to sort out, my personal opinion is crankcases and front fork sliders should be of twinshock era and pertinent to the particular make and model and converted monos not allowed, no hydraulics...as simple as that. Entry forms should include not just make, but make and model. The classes should be self regulating, with constructive criticism between the competitors encouraged, and of course the overiding consideration 'must be in the spirit of the class'

Edited by ask greeves

Possibly because most people have only seen pictures of the Highboy frames and not ridden them and therefore work on the presumption of "if Sammy Miller put his name on it, it must be good."

I'll admit that I've presumed the Miller frames must handle well. I've read articles/comments in the magazines or in books that raved about how wonderful they work, and the comments above are the first I've ever seen saying they weren't very good.

I know you can't trust the journalists to give the straight scoop all the time (though one would hope that they would) but if that is all you have to go on, along with Miller's reputation for having developed bikes for Bultaco, Honda and others, then you'll probably figure that the Highboy frame is just the thing you need to make over your old bike.

Maybe it is one of those situations where the Highboy suits SM to a "T", and sucks for everyone else who lacks his level of talent (and his preferences for bike set-up)? Things that are wonderful for an ace rider can often be calamitous for someone operating at about 50% (or less) of their skill level.

On the roadrace track a classic 250/350cc single feels pretty comfortable for me. The last thing I need is to be plopped down in the seat of Rossi's Yamaha and told to "go for it." That may apply to trials where a 1974 325 Bultaco is great for me but Bou's bike might see me make more errors if it needs a firm and skilled hand on the bars that I'm not able to provide.

cheers,

Michael

I only had a quick read through the bit about the new updated Miller chassis, and didnt notice the guys name. Maybe someone on here gets the mag, and can provide more details?

You are getting to be an expert at second hand half bakeed information, well done!

Gerad Kane that well known trials rider from????????

And Richard???? :wacko:

Guest majestyman340
You are getting to be an expert at second hand half bakeed information, well done!

Gerad Kane that well known trials rider from????????

And Richard???? :wacko:

Sorry not really up to speed with all the in house jokes on here, so not able to answer your questions.

• 1 month later...

Had a Miller framed 325 Bulto around 1965, started of with a proper 325 Bultaco after regular use for a season, was looking a bit tatty, so decided to swap into a miller kit.

Do you mean 1975? I guessing that 325 Bultacos were pretty rare in 1965.