Beta Won't Start....

kickstarter

try using choke if you are not using it already are you kicking it hard enough i find a few really hard kicks get's my 95 techno running after it has been sat for a month. failing that try a new plug and leave your cylinder open with no plug for a day to let any fuel evaporate this usualy does it for me. if none of this works im sure some one else on the forum will be able to help you out

Edited by beta boy

I've put a new plug in, that usualy does the trick, but not this time. I've tried with the choke and without. Been kicking the p*** out of it. lol Haven't tried leaving the plug out, so I give that a shot tonite.

Edited by Kickstarter

How's your compression? You must have sufficient spark (at the right time), a good fuel / air mixture, and good compression for a 2-stroke to run. You say the spark and fuel are OK - is it possible that you were running old gas the last time you rode the machine, or that you ran it for a short time and then put it away for a 'couple of weeks'? You may have a stuck ring (lots of goo / carbon around the piston and rings thereby 'sticking' the rings to the ring land or piston reducing your compression.

You could pull the head and cylinder and pop in a fresh set of rings (or just clean what you have) OR... (and this is the best I can come up with...)

stick it in 4th gear and have a friend help you push start it - pushing generates a hotter spark for a longer period of time than kick starting.

If it were me... fresh gas, new plug, and a couple of friends to push... then cold beers all around. If it doesn't start, drink the rest of the beer, if it does start, celebrate by drinking the rest of the beer.

96 techno's have a black box for ignition adv - retard ect..... where the box connects to the loom (under fuel tank cover if I remember right) there is a large connecting plug. Disconnect and spray with electrical contact cleaner if you have some, reconnect pushing togeter tight and spray liberally with wd40.

Might not be the problem but was a weak point on that year. Mine once ran backwards because some moisture got in there, now that was scary!

Good luck and keep us posted,

Steve.

Is the plug wet? If yes you could of left the gas on which has caused a pool of fuel in the bottom end. So even with a new plug it will wet foul as soon as it`s kicked over. The fuel has to escape, but use caution as many an accident has happened at this point. Try just leaving the plug out over night. Also kicking it over with plug removed ( while holding kill button with plug cap away from opening.( Can you say I accidently burned my own bike up? And my house also , do`nt laugh it has happened!) The funny thing is I just had a `96 do the same thing today. Good luck like to hear what you find. P.S. It could be so bad as to pull the exhaust off, then you might check the air box ( mice can do strange things) or try removing the silencer.

Edited by lineaway

I didn't have time to mess with it today. It was to nice this afternoon so I rode my old Gas Gas. I have cleaned and checked the airbox, and pulled the silencer off and cleaned it as well. The expansion chamber did have a fair amount of fluid in it though. I'll check the black box to see if that is it.

As lineaway said, there is a good chance that you have fuel in the bottom end and this is the problem. Had very similar thing with my 97. Took the carb off and cleaned it and while it was off, took he plug out and the can off (to stop the fuel flooding into it) and kicked it over about 50 times. Put it back together and you are good to go ! wel it worked for me. Good luck :)

Allright, haven't had time to work on it and it will have to wait until this weekend. I've also found out I should check the bolts, screws that hold the stator in, they could be corroded. Same with the engine bolts, and it might not be getting a good ground, so it's getting a week spark.

I'll find out Saturday.

I'll have a couple of frienda around to push as well. LOL Maybe I can bribe them with BBQ instead of beer, might be cheaper.