Anybody Use A People Carrier?

madcr500

Hi Lee,

did you actually fit the bikes with the wheel on ?

can you please give me some advice in order to avoid demolishing the car ?

thanks 

2 bikes in sharan no problem, take bars off for 2, or drop as said for 1. Back wheel in first for both. Use the seat anchor points at front, purpose made anchor points at rear for attaching ropes. Tie the bikes together first, as high as possible and at least 2 places. Then pull them apart, with ropes back and front.  Zip tie bars loosely to forks to avoid damaging cables etc. Cover them with a black sheet and they become virtually invisible if you have tinted windows.

You can get Bongo's and Freda's in either Petrol or Diesel, both are thirsty and are usually over priced!

The overheating issue has been pointed out, but another thing to look out for is rust and rot.

They weren't rust proofed for the UK from the factory and rot can quicky take hold.

Rear arches are the first to go, but it can grab hold in most places.

Rubber hoses and seals rot away as they have usually been stood about outside at Japanese auction houses for months which are all next to sea ports.

I've seen many Diesels that have been twin tanked and with a heat exchanger fitted, ran on veg oil (new or well filtered waste).

An alternative is the Mitsubishi Delica, (L400) but I wouldn't buy a pre 1994 model (L300), those tended to fall over or crash on the slightest of bends!

They are based on the Pajero/Shogun, so pretty hardy but again, thristy. and now starting to rust.

I've seen a few Renault Espace's with bikes in them, never noticed if the bars were dropped or not.

I've also had a bike in the back of a Land Rover Discovery (TDi 200/300).

Mine was the commercial version with no back seats, but one bike went in, just, but it's a long way up for loading and unloading!

I didn't quite manage to fit a bike in a 5 door Mk1 Rav4 though, even with the rear seats out, they aren't quite long enough and the ride quality is medieval!

Recently I've been thinking of using one of those wheelchair converted things like the Caddy Life and Doblo/Combo.

Most have a couple of slim rear seats that are perfect for nippers, bike down the middle, loading ramp and some Doblos/Combos come with a high roof, so you aren't snacking your head.

Edited by goudrons