Anybody Use A People Carrier?

madcr500

Does anybody carry there bikes to trial in a people carrier?

If so then which ones work best?

I am thinking that it would have to have either flat folding seats or removable seats and it would have to be quite tall and long.

If i change my car for a people carrier (something i never thought i would do) then i would be looking at around the

I don't know if you'd call it a people carrier but the Citroen Berlingo Multispace takes two bikes and all the gear (including camping stuff) after you have spent five minutes unscrewing the seats. If you leave in the smaller rear seat you can get one bike in. They come in varying engine types and economies.

I have borrowed my wifes seat alhambra. Same as old galaxy and vw sharan. Great diesel engines. If you take all the seats out which is a pain to0 do and fold the handlebars down a bit, 2 bikes fit easily. might get three in but i never tried it

Lee

• Like 1

have a look at the citroen dispatch combi 6 or fiat or peugeot equivelent models. all 6 seater window vans and back 3 seats just unclip and can be removed out of sliding side door. its possible to get 3 bikes in but more comfortably with 2 and your gear and sill leaves 3 seats available in the front. very good motors and cheap to run. go for the 2.0 HDI if you can afford it.

Mazda Bongo! Ignore the silly name, a Bongo Friendy as it is called is a perfect multi-purpose carrier, all the rear seats come out and leaves a low loading bay you could get 3 bikes in, 4 at a push. There are Bongo's with a lifting roof like a camper van and those with fixed rooves known as Bongalows!! You can leave some of the rear seats in and load a bike so you can have passengers as well as the bike in the back.

They are all imports, usually they dont have a service history so make sure the cam belts been changed before you buy one. There is a dedicated website, try Google.

Mazda Bongo! Ignore the silly name, a Bongo Friendy as it is called is a perfect multi-purpose carrier, all the rear seats come out and leaves a low loading bay you could get 3 bikes in, 4 at a push. There are Bongo's with a lifting roof like a camper van and those with fixed rooves known as Bongalows!! You can leave some of the rear seats in and load a bike so you can have passengers as well as the bike in the back.

They are all imports, usually they dont have a service history so make sure the cam belts been changed before you buy one. There is a dedicated website, try Google.

Even sillier The Mazda Bongo Friendee!!! Or the same van marketed by Ford as the Freda. :wall:

the site your after is called "Bongo fury" www.bongofury.co.uk, however the bongo does require a hell of a lot of maintenance!!, more than id want to have to do anyway. good luck with your choice of transport

• 4 months later...
I have borrowed my wifes seat alhambra. Same as old galaxy and vw sharan. Great diesel engines. If you take all the seats out which is a pain to0 do and fold the handlebars down a bit, 2 bikes fit easily. might get three in but i never tried it

Lee

I am thinking about one of these as I would like to tow my caravan and transport a bike at the same time. I can combine a family holiday with a trial then ;)

Does anyone know if a bike would fit in the back with one seat left in for my daughter?

I have looked at the Bongo's, what kind of MPG would they give?

A local garage has a Mazda MPV on the forecourt. I didn't even know they existed till I saw it there! Certainly not as popular as the Galaxy / Sharan / Alhambra etc.. It is a 2.0l 143bhp Diesel. Would I be right to assume as it's japanese it will be more relaible than the Galaxy etc...? or are there no problems reported because they hardly sold any?

As good as these common rail Diesels are in terms of performance and ecconomy I am worried about the amout of huge repair bills I keep reading about when they go wrong. It seems Diesels aren't what they used to be.

I've had a mazda bongo friendee for four years, they do between 19 and 30 miles per gallon. They are on average 10 years old and need the normal maintenance of any vehicle of that age. There are known overheating issues due to the mid engine and complex cooling arrangemnts. But regular coolant changes (two years) and sensible maintenance care usual stop these problems.

I could not get my Cota 247 in the back with the middle row of seats in but removing them is straightforward but a real pain because of the weight. The upside is that with the seats out the bike would fit and you can still sleep upstairs in the rising roof etc.

You can get then in 2WD and 4WD with or without the rising roof.

• 7 years later...

Lee

Hi Lee,

did you actually fit the bikes with the wheel on ?

can you please give me some advice in order to avoid demolishing the car ?

thanks