My Honda Rtl

davyb

Hi Steve

Ive just clocked on to who you are, sorry mate. i write the newsletter for N.V.M.C.C , you gave me some pictures of your Dad a little while ago.Please give me a shout at the next trial, new venue or old one to you oldies Duck End Cranford.

No problems, I don't think we have actually met. It's been about 10 years since I rode. There were quite a few people at the Trial I knew but an awfull lot I didn't. I wondered what people who didn't know me must have thought, with no riding gear and a knakered old twinshock.

I hope I'll be riding the next trial but I've got the crankcases split apart at the moment. Hopefully I'll get the bottom end together in time, the rebore will have to wait as I can't get a piston yet.

I have ridden at Duck End before (I only live a couple of miles away), it was in 1988 and it was my first clubman trial on a Fantic 240 Twinshock. I won the clubman route then, perhaps I can again on a bike of the same age some 20 years later!

I look forward to trying your bike. See you soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Dave made a very kind offer to lend me this bike for our local club Trial today. As my Montesa 330 is still in a million pieces I jumped at the chance to ride a classic like this.

I have had two very short rides on Rtl's about 15 years ago but never on a section so was eager to try a part of trials history.

First impressions of the bike were very good. The engine is super smooth. It will plod along with next to no revs, but if you need it to, it will rev out supprisingly well.

The suspension is well matched to the bike being soft and forgiving. Moving the bike around while stationary it felt a bit heavy compared to the 2 strokes but you don't notice it whilst riding. The steering was faultless going preciesly where it was pointed. I did attempt a bit of trick riding but found it hard work, plus I felt like I was't really being faithfull to the bike hopping it. I don't know if the gearing is standard on this bike but it seemed pretty low. Most sections were done in second, perhaps if there were some rocky steams I may have used first but not in our centre!

After lap one I had lost 3 marks and these were silly errors really. One when I simply lost balance. The other 2 on a hill climb when I could have done with 3rd gear really.

The clutch was super light and I couldn't believe it was cable opperated. In fact if the clutch hadn't have been so light perhaps I'd have left it alone more like I should have!

The biggest problem on the bike was the rider! I wanted to ride like Eddie Lejurne but I looked more like Eddie Little or Eddie the Eagle!!! The problem is I was bought up on 2 strokes and use too much clutch. Also every time I backed off the throttle the engine braking caught me out. When I should have been using the engine braking down hill I had the clutch pulled in!! Old habbits die hard.

I have had a 10 year break so only rode the clubman route today. Unfortunately after the 1st lap the bike didn't want to tick over for some reason. I kept turning the screw in but it didn't make any difference and I was finding it really hard as not only was the engine braking incresed, when I pulled in the clutch on a descent it stalled. A riding style more suited to the bike wouldn't have had a problem. Not wanting to risk crashing the bike and I didn't want to fiddle with the carb too much I decided to call it a day and went back to the car.

A few minutes later Dave rode by on his trick new Rtl and stopped to see what was the matter. Not content with me breaking one bike he insisted I finish the trial on his new RTL as he only had a half a lap to do. What a bloody nice chap. As for the new RTL - Well quite simply it was the best bike I have ever ridden. But this thread isn't about new Rtl's so I'll leave it at that.

Once again - Thanks Dave for your generousity. I had a fantastic days riding. :thumbup:

Dave made a very kind offer to lend me this bike for our local club Trial today. As my Montesa 330 is still in a million pieces I jumped at the chance to ride a classic like this.

I have had two very short rides on Rtl's about 15 years ago but never on a section so was eager to try a part of trials history.

First impressions of the bike were very good. The engine is super smooth. It will plod along with next to no revs, but if you need it to, it will rev out supprisingly well.

The suspension is well matched to the bike being soft and forgiving. Moving the bike around while stationary it felt a bit heavy compared to the 2 strokes but you don't notice it whilst riding. The steering was faultless going preciesly where it was pointed. I did attempt a bit of trick riding but found it hard work, plus I felt like I was't really being faithfull to the bike hopping it. I don't know if the gearing is standard on this bike but it seemed pretty low. Most sections were done in second, perhaps if there were some rocky steams I may have used first but not in our centre!

After lap one I had lost 3 marks and these were silly errors really. One when I simply lost balance. The other 2 on a hill climb when I could have done with 3rd gear really.

The clutch was super light and I couldn't believe it was cable opperated. In fact if the clutch hadn't have been so light perhaps I'd have left it alone more like I should have!

The biggest problem on the bike was the rider! I wanted to ride like Eddie Lejurne but I looked more like Eddie Little or Eddie the Eagle!!! The problem is I was bought up on 2 strokes and use too much clutch. Also every time I backed off the throttle the engine braking caught me out. When I should have been using the engine braking down hill I had the clutch pulled in!! Old habbits die hard.

I have had a 10 year break so only rode the clubman route today. Unfortunately after the 1st lap the bike didn't want to tick over for some reason. I kept turning the screw in but it didn't make any difference and I was finding it really hard as not only was the engine braking incresed, when I pulled in the clutch on a descent it stalled. A riding style more suited to the bike wouldn't have had a problem. Not wanting to risk crashing the bike and I didn't want to fiddle with the carb too much I decided to call it a day and went back to the car.

A few minutes later Dave rode by on his trick new Rtl and stopped to see what was the matter. Not content with me breaking one bike he insisted I finish the trial on his new RTL as he only had a half a lap to do. What a bloody nice chap. As for the new RTL - Well quite simply it was the best bike I have ever ridden. But this thread isn't about new Rtl's so I'll leave it at that.

Once again - Thanks Dave for your generousity. I had a fantastic days riding. :wub:

Dont be so nice to him, you will get a bill by Thursday for 1 days rent and cleaning!!!!!! :thumbup::huh::banana2:

• 4 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...