Week 68 - No 4 Star Answer To The Petrol Crisis

Andy

Don't worry guys we are still on the case.

June is usually the time when we get a rest from SSDT organising which makes the job bearable but this time no such luck. remember we all have day jobs, families and other non-ssdt commitments - its also nice to get out on our bikes now and again - my mont has not turned a wheel since the sunday of the scottish !!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry guys we are still on the case.

June is usually the time when we get a rest from SSDT organising which makes the job bearable but this time no such luck. remember we all have day jobs, families and other non-ssdt commitments - its also nice to get out on our bikes now and again - my mont has not turned a wheel since the sunday of the scottish !!

It wasn't a dig at the organising comitee, I can only imagine what a mamoth task it is to organise such an event and you all do a fantastic job. I was just trying to keep the topic alive ....

hope you all manage to compete in at least one trial before SSDT 2009 :banana2:

Quote from Army Man in another thread (P.S. On the fuel front don't give up on the Army yet I am still working on it even though I am retiring shortly.)

Looks like there could be a possibility of something still :banana2:

I had wondered if some sort of collaboration with the army is possible.

Perhaps they just provide the bowsers and jerry cans etc and the minimum of men who are needed to oversee the operation and the club hires the 4wd vehicles and hires men to do the refueling.

I am assuming that the army have the authorisation that is needed to handle petrol so this would get round this problem possibly.

Quote from Army Man in another thread (P.S. On the fuel front don't give up on the Army yet I am still working on it even though I am retiring shortly.)

That may be good news Mark, but it may be a short term solution on a year to year basis, and it was a very, very close call this year as said in a previous post literally hours before the event it was given the green light.

The club need to look to the future (and this is what they are doing now), for a long term solution, if and it is a BIG IF, the Army can do it for 1, 2, 3 years who knows we have still got a problem??

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for no recent updates but we are going through the lengthy process of consultation with the various enforcing bodies regarding transport, distribution and storage of petrol. - its a minefield but it has to be said that everyone so far has been very supportive and worked with us to help get the show on the road

We are keeping all options open at the moment and are also talking to the Forces re any assistance that can be offered.

As soon as we have anything solid to report we will.

Mark

• 1 month later...

Although I have never had the opportunity to ride the SSDT, it has been one of my dreams and one day I vow to do it. I am not able to give any advice as to the current refuelling situation but on another topic that has come up in this thread I would like to add a note. The lack of spectators at the event is troubling. Here in Squamish, B.C. Canada we have an event called the Test of Metal, it is a mountain bike race that has a cut-off of 800 riders (not including pros and volleys) and is sold out in minutes. There was a team exchange between the local club and a club in Ft. William that raised the profile of the Ft. William area with the Canadian locals who will be returning in greater numbers in the following years (cheap marketing).

Is there a general decline in trials spectators or is it related to the SSDT only? It is sad to hear of such a storied event in trouble.

Spencer