Another Water Pump Housing Gone...

yoyo

I was competing in the Taunton Jubilee Trial yesterday and had completed 47miles with only 13 to go when I noticed the bike was over-revving when I had pulled the clutch in to coast down hills, trying to keep the engine cool. At first I thought it was clutch drag, then I figured it was going on to reserve, so I pulled in to switch the fuel tap over when I realised that it was very hot and water was appearing from a small pin hole in the casing by the pump. The bike was pre-detonating with the heat and I was lucky not to seize it. Game over.

I had a good chance at winning my class at this event too as I only dropped a few marks throughout all the sections that I had completed..

So now it's off to get a new casing and fill up with the right coolant.

The bike's previous owner must have had the wrong coolant in it, or it's been like it from new as it's only an '06 model. Bloody magnesium !

More expense!

Shaun.

I was competing in the Taunton Jubilee Trial yesterday and had completed 47miles with only 13 to go when I noticed the bike was over-revving when I had pulled the clutch in to coast down hills, trying to keep the engine cool. At first I thought it was clutch drag, then I figured it was going on to reserve, so I pulled in to switch the fuel tap over when I realised that it was very hot and water was appearing from a small pin hole in the casing by the pump. The bike was pre-detonating with the heat and I was lucky not to seize it. Game over.

I had a good chance at winning my class at this event too as I only dropped a few marks throughout all the sections that I had completed..

So now it's off to get a new casing and fill up with the right coolant.

The bike's previous owner must have had the wrong coolant in it, or it's been like it from new as it's only an '06 model. Bloody magnesium !

More expense!

Shaun.

What do you mean fill up with the right coolant, have you been using the wrong stuff so far ?

its got to be anti freeze with a corrosion inhibitor on any of the modern bikes. Also are you sure its the casing and not just the water pump bearing or seal ?

What do you mean fill up with the right coolant, have you been using the wrong stuff so far ?

its got to be anti freeze with a corrosion inhibitor on any of the modern bikes. Also are you sure its the casing and not just the water pump bearing or seal ?

You need to use a coolant that is suitable for use with Magnesium. Check with your local Beta dealer to use an available suitable coolant.

Also are you sure its the casing and not just the water pump bearing or seal ?

Just behind the waterpump cover on the underside of the casing and about 1/4 inch back from the cover is a small pin hole which is jetting water as soon as I put any water in the radiator.

This part of the casing houses the water pump impellor by the look of it and I can only assume (until the casing is off) that the corrosion has eaten it's way through.

Shaun.

Red Line SuperCool with WaterWetter will stop all of that from happening in the future.

I haven't used the SuperCool but have used the WaterWetter in all my bikes (personal and race) for some time. It breaks the surface tension allowing better heat transfer between the metal and coolant. I should also add that any water used in an alloy engine should be distilled, never tap water.

Jon

The advantage of using SuperCool with WaterWetter is that it is blended with deionized and purified water. It also passes all of the ASTM corrosion tests, providing excellent rust and corrosion protrection. I have been using it for years and have never had a bad water pump seal or corrosion issues.

The advantage of using SuperCool with WaterWetter is that it is blended with deionized and purified water. It also passes all of the ASTM corrosion tests, providing excellent rust and corrosion protrection. I have been using it for years and have never had a bad water pump seal or corrosion issues.

Neat!

Thanks for the tip, I'll pick up some of it, I've always had good luck with the Redline products in the race bikes and I've got a Mag engine in my bike so I need to pay attention to coolant issues also.

Jon

This looks good advice, what antifreeze would you use in it?

This looks good advice, what antifreeze would you use in it?

My guess is that you don't need to add anything to the SuperCool as it's a complete compound (I haven't got a bottle yet to review the makeup of the product). We usually use a mixture of 50% automotive antifreeze and 50% distilled water in our bikes and the antifreeze is mainly for the anti-corrosive properties, although it does also contain W/P seal lubrication and enhanced cooling additives in some cases. Unless you ride or store your bike in consistant sub-freezing conditions, you don't need the "anti-freeze" properties.

Jon