Absolutly Shocking News!

Guest Yamaha_dude

isn't 750 a bit steep i payed 700 for my 95 techno and it was mint just needed some new clutch plates and some rear wheel bearings that totaled to 40 pounds and most people told me that i got ripped off. im not sure what it is like where you live but round here you can pick up a good 02 bike for about 1000 pounds or year 200 for 700 quid

where you talking to me or yamaha dude if your where talkin to me no my bike does not have floating calipers it has floating disks if you where talking to yamaha dude the answer is no _cause his bike does not have calipers_

:)

No no no. A drum brake can be floating type. Means that there goes two "rods" to the brake thing ("caliper", I don

Edited by Da Make

Da Make is referring to what in English is called a "floating" rear brake. They have been used on bikes for many years. The theory is that the rotational forces generated about the swingarm pivot by applying the rear brake are transmitted directly to the main section of the bike frame to prevent these forces causing the rear suspension to compress or extend.

Amongst other things, they require the brake backing plate to be able to rotate freely about the rear axle.

The added weight of the additional axle bearings and longer torque arm required for this meant that it is a feature not usually seen on lightweight trials bikes and certainly not on any trials bikes ever made by Yamaha. It was popular on MX and road oriented (trail) bikes of the drum brake era. Note that a rear disc brake does not avoid the problem fully because a disc brake still generates a torque about the swingarm pivot which tends to compress the rear suspension (lift the wheel).

The difference between disc and rod operated drum brakes that Da Make mentioned is that the force exerted by the drum brake actuating rod is avoided with hydraulic braking. The effect is also avoided on drum braked bikes that use sheathed cable actuation (OSSA MAR and Suzuki RL250).

A similar concept for the front suspension was in vogue in about 1978. It was sold as a kit for popular MX bikes I think by Preston Petty. It used a floating front brake backing plate and a rod which transmitted the braking force up to the triple clamps. It worked exactly as intended but people soon discovered that having the forks stay extended as you brake into a corner actually made it worse for cornering so they dropped from favour. Some modern cars have anti-dive geometry built into the front suspension.