Shocking Help With A Beta's Paioli

nzralphy

Hi All

I'm considering rebuilding my rear shock ('07 Beta Rev3 270).

I had the Paioli shock off the other day to replace a bottom bearing and while it was off i noticed that without the spring attached the shock would go quickly through half of it's stroke. It did this with and air sucking sound. At approx the half travel point it felt that oil was encountered and the damping firmed up nicely. Allowing the shock to extend was the same but in reverse (obviously) - slow than fast with air sucking.

The rebound adjuster at the top of the shock has no effect on damping. The bike will easily bottom out on minor hollows between sections even when being very light on the bike.

Am i right does it need attention or are the above normal?

........I know i could send the shock off to the appropriate guy for the appropriate attention. But I'm an engineer and am happy to tackle anything. Soooooo.....

Has anyone taken a Paioli apart and how?

Any tips?

What weight oil would you recommend?

How is the nitrogen charged and at what pressure?

Thanks, Ralphy

Beta offers an exchange on the rear shock were they have rebuilt used shocks, it's cheaper than buying a new one. I know you want to rebuild your own shock so check into the cost of the tools to do the rebuild may change your mind. Ask your local dealer to check with the importer for the tools or rebuilt shock.

Beta offers an exchange on the rear shock were they have rebuilt used shocks, it's cheaper than buying a new one. I know you want to rebuild your own shock so check into the cost of the tools to do the rebuild may change your mind. Ask your local dealer to check with the importer for the tools or rebuilt shock.

I absolutely agree with Ron. The Paioli is a special shock and has progressive damping circuits built in (thats why no linkage is necessary) and I've been in shocks like these and, unless you're a suspension expert and have the appropriate tools that are specific to this shock, you probably just want to exchange it.

Jon

Er not to put too fine a point on it but is there a problem with damping while the suspension is working? It may be that the shock is actually working properly. If you haven't found fluid leaking out you may be looking for a problem where one doesn't exist. In the past when I've had new shocks that had pressurized internal volume when I ran them through the stroke I would notice the same effect. There seemed to be a dead zone of no damping at the start of the stroke and then heavy damping. If I went faster though the damping occurred throughout the stroke. My theory was that there was probably some dead zone until the internal volume taken up by air was filled with oil/air emulsion. As for the bottoming you may need a few turns of the spring preload there bubba. Of course if you do have a loss of damping the cranked up spring can make for an exciting ride.

Edited by Dan Williams

........I know i could send the shock off to the appropriate guy for the appropriate attention. But I'm an engineer and am happy to tackle anything. Soooooo.....

Has anyone taken a Paioli apart and how?

Any tips?

What weight oil would you recommend?

How is the nitrogen charged and at what pressure?

Thanks, Ralphy

Ralphy,

It might be a good idea to take the shock to someone who knows suspension and have them check it out if you're not sure. I haven't been into the Beta Paioli specifically, but most new shocks have a floating piston that seperates the oil from the high-pressure Nitrogen (monotube DeCarbon type), rather than the old low-pressure Nitrogen emulsion shocks.

Jon

Thanks guys for the replys. I have worked on shocks before. I hear what you are saying and will give it some thought.

I did give the spring another couple of turns and this helped somewhat. Thanks for the tip. The rear isn't shooting back as if there was no damping so i figure it hasn't all gone west. I still have no rebound adjustment.

So does anyone know if it is an emulsion shock?... it would explain the action i get from the shock whan it is off the bike.

Ta Ralphy

• 2 years later...

Late reply I know. The simple answer is the shock needs servicing. It is not an emulsion shock, and has a bladder that fits between the inner and outer body. Very easy to service, but not for the novice suspension guy or engineer etc. The "dead" feel is the nitrogen that has passed through the bladder and is now mixed with the oil. Strip, clean, refill with oil and bleed, refill nitrogen and it will be as good as new.