Finally Got My New 2008 Sy250

ridgrunr

Too bad it's sitting in a crate in my buddy's garage and I don't get home for six more weeks! :lol: Forked out the cash for it and I've never seen it yet! :thumbup: He opened the top of the crate and says it sure is pretty. Offered to put it together and break it in for me. What a pal! A new bike in the box. Sure gives me something to look forward to though! :banana2:

Thank god, it's about time!

I was actually wondering if I was going to have to bring it to you from the WR!

Yes, Ryan had one there, unfueled, so I did not get a chance to break it in for you!

Looked SWEET! :banana2:

Hope you have better luck Breaking your new scorpa then I did.Was at the Colarado national riding with my son,first loop saturday guy loses control of his bike on loop trail and hits my parked bike breaking gas tank and denting muffler.The bike had three rides on it before that,so now waiting for new tank and trying to figure out how to get dents out of muffler.I just wanted to have a nice trail ride in the desert for three days.So keep a eye out for a out of control Texan on a 4 stroke Montesa!!!!Good Luck JR

Wow JR that stinks! I was feeling bad because I can usally keep a bike looking new for a long time, but the first time I took my 2008 Scorpa SY 250 out I crashed in a section and put a small scratch on the tank. Guess that's nothing compared to what happened to you.

Ridgrunr,

Enjoy uncrating your bike. It's something that I really enjoy, even when I do it for somebody else.

Hope you have better luck Breaking your new scorpa then I did.Was at the Colarado national riding with my son,first loop saturday guy loses control of his bike on loop trail and hits my parked bike breaking gas tank and denting muffler.The bike had three rides on it before that,so now waiting for new tank and trying to figure out how to get dents out of muffler.I just wanted to have a nice trail ride in the desert for three days.So keep a eye out for a out of control Texan on a 4 stroke Montesa!!!!Good Luck JR

You think your unlucky, I have to ride with that guy, every weekend. Dodging his bike gets to be a regular challenge. You soon learn to be very cautious as to where you stand, or park your bike.

Thats just Kimbles, Mizells minder, he always rides that way! Send him the bill. On this forum its Tesamon! Give him the bill for damages on a PM! Screw him, he sucks, we are arch enema'ss Ha! :wall:

Edited by copemech

• 2 weeks later...
Too bad it's sitting in a crate in my buddy's garage and I don't get home for six more weeks! :D Forked out the cash for it and I've never seen it yet! :blink: He opened the top of the crate and says it sure is pretty. Offered to put it together and break it in for me. What a pal! A new bike in the box. Sure gives me something to look forward to though! :)

I'm waiting for my bike to turn up only just bought it last week. If you get a chance tell us about your first ride and if you can add a few piccy's tops. I used to have an 03 SY and the only thing i disliked about it was i had to stoop/lean down a bit more than i was used to compared to a Gas Gas pro. Its a shame Scorpa hasn't followed gas gas with their new rear wheel design (like the montesa).

Edited by spud

• 3 weeks later...

• 4 years later...

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this topic guys, but just thought I'd give an update. Been riding the '08 SY250R now for what, almost 5 years!!?? Wow, how time flies. Bike has ridden a Trials meet almost every month since I got it, three trips across the Five Miles of Hell and who know how many hours practicing or pretending to.

So how has the beastie treated me? Pretty well. Let's see, what went wrong? Dropped the tank and cracked it at the top just in front of the fuel cap. Found some neat mairtime plastic fuel epoxy that sealed it right up, was even white, then I coated the inside of the tank with some Caswell epoxy and it's as good, maybe better, than new. Sort of wish the aluminum Marazocci forks had drains in the bottom of the legs, as it's not so fun to have to remove the forks to replace the oil, but at least with the fork protectors I put on, I'm still running the original fork seals that have never leaked. I so wish it was a little easier to get that carb out for cleaning and jet work too. But I guess that's about it.

I run 100LL av fuel that it seems to like a lot better than pump gas, amsoil full synthetic at 80/1, and maxima MTL lite 75 wt transmission fluid.

My one gripe, well not really a gripe, but I do wish sometimes that engine was just a little narrower, which would use a narrower skid plate, which would help keep me from getting the plate hung up on those sharply slanted rocks which seems to catch the side of the skid plate a lot more than those super narrow GG's. This is probably fixed now on the models that use the narrower Sherco engine.

So over all I've really enjoyed the bike. Not as much as my '94 Fantic KRoo (man I loved that bike, except for that stinking plastic front fender holder on the upside down forks) but probably just as much as my '99 GG 321.

So what and when's my next bike? Good question. I mean I'm 59 now. I don't think I ride near as well as I once thought I did. So let's face it, the Scorpa is probably not the limiting factor here. But, I am looking forward to April 6, when we go across the 5 Miles of Hell (http://www.utahtrial.../5moh/5moh.html) again. Taking a 30 year old I work with me across this time who will be riding a YZ250R. Be interesting to see which is better on the 5MOH a Yamaha powered YZ or a Yamaha powered SY. I'm betting on the SY.

florin.jpg

Edited by ridgrunr

So good to hear from you Ridg!

Yes, that bike will be hard to replace, nothing out there as docile and durable as the Yam motor.

p*** on it, overhaul the thing and replace everythinh now while you may still get it! Ride it another 5 years! Get you a long range kit too if you can still find one!

Hey Cope. Might have to do something. Would be interested to see how one with the orange frame does. Maybe after I get the truck paid off. My main competition just got himself one of them funny looking lemon yellow framed 2013 bikes. He got me by 1 point last year, 88 to 87. It'll be interesting to see if it helps him this year.