Honda Tlr200 Reflex

fester

:wall: restoring a reflex and im almost done,put a honda xr100 carb on it, wes pipe ,alum wheels,fiberglass tank seat combo,does anyone or has anyone messed around with the steering geometry on these bikes it steers like a pig,also finding shocks with a 17 1/2 eye to eye center is another issue,also put on a hand compression release to eliminate breaking the hard to find kickstart levers,any tips on these babies would be cool

Just bought a tlr with lowered pegs and longer falcon shocks, which is the same as altering the head angle. I put some higher Renthals in it kicked it in to shape and did a twinshock trial and it is spot on steering wise etc, Brakes are the only let down. It was a ex tidy rider from Bath area who won a t shock series or similar. I didn't know this until after I bought it but it is well sorted. I had a tlr a couple of years ago and did not get on with it. Also there is a cr 80 clutch in it, :wall:

:wall: ok now what if you slightly moved the top shock mounts towards the tank and down a tad which would raise the rear end up and match the arc of the swing arm???the wes pipe mod is probably the best mod so far along with the xr carb really woke it up,im also in the front disk brake mode as well i cant part with this little gem their bitchen,i dont compete with it i prefer moderns but its fun
Just bought a tlr with lowered pegs and longer falcon shocks, which is the same as altering the head angle. I put some higher Renthals in it kicked it in to shape and did a twinshock trial and it is spot on steering wise etc, Brakes are the only let down. It was a ex tidy rider from Bath area who won a t shock series or similar. I didn't know this until after I bought it but it is well sorted. I had a tlr a couple of years ago and did not get on with it. Also there is a cr 80 clutch in it, :huh:

Hi, I have a TLR done up like the ones desribed, Falcons, Wes, BJ Racing tank and the bike is excellent. I have tried the XR100 carb but can't get it to work from just below half throttle on up. What jets are you using and what needle position? I am thinking of pulling in the front end 1 degree but I really think it steers quite well as is. Anyone done anything with the airbox? Do you run with the snorkle in or out or has anyone enlarged the air box opening? Thanks

Brian R sorry no part numbers for clutch as it was done when I bought it, I do know that you use the plates and springs though. Will get back to you on it as Pitley did the mod on a 250 so I will speak to him about it.

Re handling and other mods, on a thread here a while ago the s. arm shock mounts can go forward to achieve the same effect to sort the steering angle. But if the shocks need changing then slightly longer ones seem the way to go. :wall:

Edited by bo drinker

Thanks Fester (uncle?) I have pulled the snorkle, although I do get different opinions on that from various experienced guys and I have a 45/105 combination. I am at about 700' above sea level in NJ. It runs great at low revs but the from maybe 2/5ths throttle on up it is crap. I don't get it. At full throttle it actually dies. Thr float is pretty close to where it shoudl be and there is plenty of gas in the bowl but it feels like it is running out of gas. Could the needle position do this? The only other thing I have that is not standard is a stainless head pipe that is slightly narrower tubing than stock but it ran perfectly befroe the carb swap. I put the standard back on and it is flawless again. But I am installing an XR200 cam this week and figure I will need the new carb to play with the jetting to get it perfect. BTW, I have ridden one iwth the cam and the power increase at mid and top is substantial and it is still good on the bottom. The guys bike I rode and a very clever airbox trick, a REED from a TY350 Yam, placed over the airbox inlet, with stragegic holes drilled in it for low speed breathing. AT high RPM's it flexes to open and allow more air in. His bike was perfect in the power dept. Besides my jetting issue, what did you do about the throttle cabe for the XR100 carb? It is about 2" too short for my 6" Renthals. Thanks!

try a smaller main for the heck of it,i had some old school brass ferrels of different styles from the 70s we used to make our own cables and solder them with a torch,go to a honda shop and compare and improvise

• 2 weeks later...

i am trying to sort out a tlr & wondering what others have done to raise bar hieght. i have 6" renthals & feels as thogh i'm bending too much at the waste. i am around 5'11" with a 31" inseam & a big a***.

thanks for your suggestions! been out of trials for more than a decade & looking forward to returning soon.

dean

tennessee, usa