Kick Start Broken Off (sprocket End Broken Off)

matt_tily

Hi there I kicked a little too hard on my kickstart at the weekend, as it was struggling to start, and I got a little frustrated and kicked a bit hard, then the kick start span all the way round rather than stopping when it is horizontal, I drained the clutch fluid and took the clutch/kickstart cover off today and the kickstart goes onto a spindle then the spindle connects to a small sprocket with a few teeth on, on mine it has snapped off, but it doesnt look as though you can get it out unless you take the clutch plates out, as it is behind.

Does anyone know how to take it out?

Can you take it out from the side, or do you have to take the whole bottom part of the engine off?

I can send photos to e-mail adresses if this helps?

Also a rough estimate of repair cost incase I can't repair it myself would be useful, I expect it will need this sprocket and around 2 hours labour, so I'm guessing around the 150 mark?

Cheers,

Matt

Hi

Quite normal damage on a Pro.

Remove the clutch basket. One allen bolt in the middle and then lift the whole thing out. If it is struck you can lever it out with a couple of screwdrivers but be careful not to damage the surface of what you lever it on. Do not loose the bolt (as it is special - hole in the middle) and the washers.

Dont remember if You have to remove the little sprocket. If You do it is no problem. Just a circlip and a washer.

Then You can remove the kick axle. It is not fastened with anything. Be careful when the spring comes loose.

It is possible to separate the axle and the sprocket but it is no use as the axle and sprocket is only sold as a kit.

To remount is a little tricky. You have to insert the spring an then turn it (hmm..) counterclock one turn to load it up before You put the rest in place. Dont forget the friction spring (Buy a new one by the way).

The rest is easy. Take care to put washers in the right place. Be also sure the pin on the water pump is aligned properly with the slots in the crank axle before You put it in.

-Jan

Sorry for my english writing. I am better in norwegian, but there is a chance that it would do you no help :-)

One more thing when the clutch cover is off;

Measure the hight of the clutch "fingers" from the tip of the fingers down to the bottom plate inside the cluth. This distance should be 17,1mm +/- for the clutch to operate good. Smaller distance, and the clutch are hard to pull. Larger distance and the clutch might slip.

Since this has nothing to do with the kick start, ask again if the measure differnce much from 17 mm.. :-)

-Jan

• 9 months later...