Computer Stuff

overthehill

Firstly i know very little about computers other than;

I detest microsoft products - they are overly complex, illogical, over priced.....................

I hate the fact microsoft have a monopoly on OS's and PC software

I hate the fact that my computer tells Microsoft everything that is going on with it.

anyway - the last time my PC crashed (yet again through Outlook freezing) and i had to reformat the entire drive, I dumped windows and installed a Linux OS

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with Linux because so far its brilliant. - it works all my hardware, (which is more than windows did as it never did accept my cheap laser printer) its OpenOffice package reads all the MS Office generated files and does everything i need - it even saves files in DOC/XLS etc format for emailing to MSOffice users , it connects to the internet without sending messages back to Bill Gates.

and its FREE.

whats the catch ??????????

I have Macs because i hate Microsoft. Current Mac osX is based on Linux. That being stated...

Macintosh makes their money not only from software but also from their hardware. If you want the Mac os you need to buy the Mac hardware. There are very few exceptions to this.

Microsoft makes their money from software and a majority of their software is marketed to businesses. I personally think that they are too big of a company now and have over complicated their system. Average users need to stand up against software failures.

Linux is free because developers have taken several basic principals (GNU Kernel) to build upon and grew off of it. There have been several directions where linux has grown. Red Hat, Gentoo, and tons of others. Each one works a little bit differently. Thus the problem with free Linux. If you make a program for it you have to craft it around tons of actual operating systems. Plus since it is free people who use it dont want to pay for development costs. Most developers use it for their own personal needs and give it away.

If you like Linux. Try a Mac so you have some standard support. I have 4 macs in my house (yep i am a nerd) 3 of them are 8-6 years old and are using current supported mac osx 10.4 and 10.5 operating systems. I only use them for internet, video, music. I dont play video games and one in the garage for looking up gasgas stuff. I dont know when i have had a crash last. I am forced to deal with microsoft at work.

Andy,

You use these things on a daily basis. Whats your thoughts?

--Biff

I'm a complete PC dunce and had way too many problems with microsoft internet explorer error warnings all over the place.

Someone on TC (may have been R2W)recommended FireFox...and all my PC problems disappeared.

I have 2 windows pc's and 3 macs.

The pc's crash all the time and the macs are ROCK SOLID.

1 mac is 14 years old, 1 is 8 years old (both for work) and one is a newer mac mini (for home use). The older ones work as well today as they did when i bought them new.

The new one is on OS X 10.39 (after microsoft bought apple) and the others are on OS 9.1 (before microsft). OS 9 seems better to me but the newer one is more user friendly. It just annoys me that every so often the system pauses and that little coloured wheel pops up for 5 seconds or so. old macs never used to do that.

Every accessory i have ever tried works fine on the newer mac. Camcorders, cameras, MP3 players, printers, scanners, helmetcam, wireless connectors, usb hubs, monitors, speakers, mouse, usb pens, everything, non of it mac specific. You just plug it in and it recognises it and your away.

I Hate PC's but still end up using them all the time as my wife prefers the mac too.

buy a mac mini. they're only about

when did microsoft buy Apple then!!

1997. Microsoft bought $150 million (2%) of non-voting shares in apple. In return Apple was to make internet explorer the default browser on the Mac, It would also drop the outstanding patent infringement lawsuit against Microsoft. Beyond that, Apple also announced a "broad" cross license their patents with Microsoft (for an undisclosed sum, though it's generally agreed it was another 150 million).

I also think the Microsoft agreed to continue development of the Apple OS verion of Microsoft Office (5 year deal I believe)

article about it here:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/cyberspace/...apple_8-6a.html

Thats pretty much the same as one of mine.

Its a good machine but you will find it a bit slow compared to modern stuff, especially with it running OS X Tiger.

Also, it needs a usb card fitting to make it usefull really.

If your going for a mac look for 700 mghz or larger. Emac or imac g4 are great and cheap these days. Laptops are expensive. Towers are great but nobody gets rid of em untill they are too slow to do what you want to do. mac mini's are a bit new to get deals but if you can get one for 100 to 150 lbs you have found a deal. Search your local craigslist. That way you can go see it fire up and pay for it on the spot if needed. Look for os 10.4 to 10.5 at minimum. 10.4 is still a really strong platform and 10.5 had only a few improvements that as a new user you probably wouldn't really utilize.

--Biff

If your going for a mac look for 700 mghz or larger. Emac or imac g4 are great and cheap these days. Laptops are expensive. Towers are great but nobody gets rid of em untill they are too slow to do what you want to do. mac mini's are a bit new to get deals but if you can get one for 100 to 150 lbs you have found a deal. Search your local craigslist. That way you can go see it fire up and pay for it on the spot if needed. Look for os 10.4 to 10.5 at minimum. 10.4 is still a really strong platform and 10.5 had only a few improvements that as a new user you probably wouldn't really utilize.

--Biff

I completely agree.

but IE7 is not the default browser on a friends new I mac.... and 2% doesn't make them the owner. And according to this and this they don't anymore.

But whatever... they are bloody great at graphics and video editing, just seem to work so much quicker but with "slower" ratings.

I never said they were the owner but after they bought shares they had a hand in development. OS X was created with a lot of input from microsoft, which is one of the reasons its so different to previous versions of OS.

And no. they dont own the shares anymore but they have left a legacy with OS X

Ive noticed that slower speed rated macs seem to waaay out perform PC's with much higher speed ratings. Probably because they are not trying to run windows! :D

Edited by madcr500

OS X is just BSD with bits of NeXTStep bolted on isn't it?

Pfffft, I remember booting Unix on an old HP system from 8" floppies. And once it was usable (20 minutes or so later), all you had was a basic shell, vi (which would only respond to VT220 escape sequences to move the cursor) and a crappy C compiler.

You kids get off my lawn!!!

OS X is just BSD with bits of NeXTStep bolted on isn't it?

Pfffft, I remember booting Unix on an old HP system from 8" floppies. And once it was usable (20 minutes or so later), all you had was a basic shell, vi (which would only respond to VT220 escape sequences to move the cursor) and a crappy C compiler.

You kids get off my lawn!!!

NEEEERDS!!!

Edited by madcr500

Get a mac OTH. You can also run PC perating system on a mac, which runs quicker than on a conventional PC.

I have this configuration on my Power Mac Laptop and runs great

Plus there is less hassel with virusus, a Big PLUS

Vinnie