Wheel Rim Problem

I had new Excel rims spoked to the hubs of my Honda TLR200 but they did not come with the hole for the inner tube grip; Would it be wise ti drill out one or is there anyway I can make the rim accept tubeless tyres & if so how does the valve fit & how do I seal the inner rim. Thanks in advance.

if you mean the hole for the rim lock, no problemb just make a hole abought 150 degres from the hole for the valve core, making it tubless may be possible, not very probable, but the rim would have to be made as a tubless rim, having the rim bead necessary to seal a tubless tire.

Really you should have 2 security bolts in a rear rim, drilled at 90 degrees to the valve. Unless of course somebody knows better ! also a tubeless rim has an inner lip which in fact holds the tyre in place.

Edited by ask greeves

Cheers for your replys. Is it absolutely necessary to have the rim lock, and what sort of low pressure can I run without having to be too concerned about the tube slipping? I know on the more competative bikes it is necessary but I would prefer not to have to drill the rim unless totally necessary. Also I can't remember now if the original rear rim had a hole for a rimlock, would anyone know? Cheers

Yes your TLR200 came with 2 rim lock holes on the rear wheel.

Yes you can ride the TLR with your new EXCEL tube-type rim and no rimlocks but you will need to run approx 15psi to stop it slipping which will make it useless for trials.

When you finally drill the holes for the rimlocks, choose locations situated in the gaps between two groups of four spokes. If you study the rim you will see that the spokes are arranged in 9 groups of four spokes. In the gap between the groups of four spokes the spokes are angled away convieniently away from each other. You will find 8 such locations on your rim. Someone previously suggested fitting the rimlocks at 90 degrees from the tube stem. This will work nicely for tyre changes but be aware that the standard rimlock locations are opposite where the tube stem hole is and in the the next gap to the valve stem hole. This provides the least disturbance to wheel balance by the rimlocks.

If all this is a bit confusing, just have a good look at another tube type rim that has rimlocks fitted and you will work it out.

You might get away with one rimlock if everything else is right and you use a high quality rimlock, but most people just use two rimlocks and avoid problems.

An easy option is to spend some more money and fit a tubeless rim and no you cannot make you your EXCEL tube type work reliably without a tube (the bead seat is the wrong shape and the wrong diameter and the spoke holes will leak)

• 5 years later...