Sammy Miller Series

superhondaman

Just looking at the results for the Westmoland Trial and it seems a shame that it had so few riders. 18 pre 65 and 22 Twin Shocks( i had enterd but an injury prevented me from riding) i would have thought being in the area it was there would have been quite a large entry given that the north of england must have loads of pre 65 and T/s riders. What happens to the hoards that enter or get turned away from the scottish? why are they not riding/supporting these trials? Are they all turning out for the next trial run by Ilkley & District? I wonder(like others, i am sure) just where the pre 65 scene is heading? Although the Reliance trial had about 120 riders! Why is the Miller trials having such low entries? I have heard comments about the T/shocks and that sections are becoming harder because of them, i have ridden both t/s and pre65 classes and i dont think that is justified and without the t/shocks i dont think the series could be run, maybe it has become harder on the rigid route? those numbers are down but with nice little rigid bantams etc about then this class could be better supported. Just some thoughts whilst i have 10 mins to spare!

I see the Scarborough DMC Pre65/TS Sporting Weekend was well attended with around 90 riders doing both days and several more only doing single days.

Not sure if some of these riders would have gone had there not been such a great 2day trial on over the same weekend?

Certainly i don't there are any grounds for complaint over section severity, i rode the hard(er) route and although i had been confined to my sick-bed for a couple of days beforehand i still easily completed the course without too much huffing & puffing, the nature of road trials means you get a lot of rest between sections.

To me, the trial seemed spot on and i'll be back next year for another crack, this one deserves a much bigger entry.

p65 alive and kicking 'oop north' lancs red rose and yorksclassic still have well supported events.

this weekend though both clubs ussually decant to scarboro for the two day, few if any ( alright i have) club members have ridden in the westmorland. its a decent ride round and the sections are easy enough . the two lap format is ok but lap lengths were a little on the long side ( its a couple of years since i rode so it may have changed.

also factor in that cartmel aint the ends of the earth ok its easy to get to and the camping caravaning cant be beaten and the pubs in cartmel are without compare but it is 100 miles from yorks and lancs trials central..

also and this is a biggy its the middle of july.. even yorks road gallop near haworth will struggle to get 60 this weekend..

Scarborough 2 day had over 140 entries (number 147 was issued) with a good mixture of pre65 and twinshocks.

The heavy rain at the start on Sat and the end of Sunday did its best to spoil it but a huge round of applause must go to the organisers and observers of the 15 sections each day.

Well done to Roger Williams on his immaculate 'barn find' Pinky and to Len Hutty for their superb rides.

Full Scarborough results here

Surely if the Westmorland club want a decent entry they need to move the date to avoid two of the best classic events on the calendar.

I did it a few years ago and they complained about the low numbers then. I enjoyed it and would have done it again had it not clashed with Scarborough's 2 day event.

Cartmel is a super place with the old race course and the shop that is the home of the original 'Sticky Toffee Pudding'. :wall:

Edited by Stickinthemud

Its not Scarborough thats the problem, Westmorland has always clashed with them and last year had quite a decent entry, it's the Welsh 2 day that changed their dates! I was told they did to try and get more enteries.

The Trial always gets well received and the riders who do it say it's one of best trials they ride.

Westmorland don't choose the date for Sammy Miller Rounds, the ACU give it to them.

Welsh Retro is AMCA, nothing to do with ACU

Westmoreland event also had no trail riders, that's nothing to do with the other events. Entries are down generally for Miller rounds, especially Pre65 classes, the very bikes it was created for and I don't know why. The trials aren't too hard for Pre65, there are 2 routes to choose from so standard trim bikes can run on the easier route. Twinshocks are on the increase but they are generally riders who don't contest the ACU Traditional as that is a step up. Maybe riders now think that the Miller sections are for twinshocks but that is definitely not the case, they're perfectly suitable for Pre65 of all types with the 2 route format.

Maybe there's a transition coming here, Miller series evolving into what the old Sebac/Falcon used to be - 2 routes for Pre65 and twinshocks. Traditional series becoming populated with mainly modern 'Over whatever' classes with just the few die-hards on Pre65 and twinshocks taking in most of the rounds.

Whatever, one of the fundamental requirements these days has to be two routes. The range of machinery and ability of riders is too far ranging now to run on one route unless the terrain allows it over natural sections - Scottish, Bootle, Lancs County etc. If people are going to travel distances these days with the costs involved (nearly

Edited by Woody