Bike For Beginner - '05 300 Raga Or '06 250 Pro?

men8ifr

I've been looking for a Scorpa SY 250 or Mont 315 as a beginners bike - the Scorpa as people on trials central voted it the best bike at finding traction in mud (and I'm in the uk = mud!) and the Mont because they don't go wrong.

Not having to do any spannering is important to me.

The problem is I've been looking for 4 months and not seen either of these local. I went to see a SY that looked tidy in pics but in reality was a total dog wo a wasted journey and diesel.

Now my mate's have been going on about how good the local trials club is and how much riding they are doing and I don't have a bike... so I've decided I will settle on a GG though not my first choice.

A friend knows someone with an 05 Raga 300 in very tidy condition which I would get for

They are both very competent machines and of course they can be ridden by less experienced riders, but the Raga is aimed at Experts.

Having ridden a 300 Raga and a 250 pro, I feel sure that I'd loose more marks on the 300 and probably end up on the ground more!

The only bike that doesnt require "spannering" is a new one that is never ridden.

My GG crashes really great. Its ME who doesnt crash so well....

But seriously, You will do alot better on a bike that is easy to ride. (Crash less, not break as much - body/bike) The 250 is a better bike for a beginner and most all riders who dont need to do 2 and 3 meter splatters on a regular basis.

trust me a 300 enduro is a competely different animal to a 300 trials bike, been there made that mistake. its like compairing your gasgas 300 against a 250 rm/kx the power delivery is that different. keep looking for a scorpa or even a beta 200/250. i did the same as your thinking , get a trials bike to improve the enduro results, trouble was i liked it so much i packed in the enduros!

Add my vote to the 250 Gas Gas.

I would consider myself as a good Expert rider before I retired and I never found the 250 short of power, even at National Level.

I recently had the chance to try a 300 Raga and would consider it too much even for my level.

If you are just starting off I'd say go for the Scorpa as it is an easy bike to ride and is stable up becks, the GG both 250 and 300 are more lively in comparison and for me, are a more exciting/rewarding bike to ride. Of the two Gassers, the 250 would be the easiest to get along with for a new rider. 2006 was a good GG year. Really, ride them all and settle for one that feels good to you, you may like the stability of the Scorpa rather than the instantaneous action/reaction of the GG but only you can tell.

Bye, PeterB.

Well the 250 was bought early so the acution did not finish on Ebay anyway - it was at the top end of my budget anyway plus there were a few questions about it i.e. why did the guy mention rebuilding it? And does every trials bike come with loose/worn shock linkages as standard? on an 06?

I rode a Ty, Sherco and Beta REv3 at the weekend and did not like the TY so any of the others in good condition will do nicely.