1997 Or 98 Tx270? Any Thoughts?

pillar

Hey everyone. My buddy is looking at getting this bike. Who knows about these years? I'm pretty sure it's an 98.

The motor feels really strong.

Anything to watch out for on this bike?

Any thoughts would be good!!

Thanks

SMDC0103-1.jpg

I had one of those ( albeit a 250) I rode it for two years including 2 SSDT's without any major mechanical problems was a good bike as the guy I sold it to used it for a further 5 years with only usual running repairs. Gassers are notoriously fragile and need good maintainance and a considerate rider to to get best out of them. So when looking at second hand gassers attention to all bearings seals and sighns of hard riding also all fasteners appear to be made of chocolate so you can see telltale signs of repairs and of course the airbox is very prone to leaks. If or should that be when you have to make repairs to gasser it is normally pretty straightforward work but you must have good tools gentle hands and clean workspace.

I would avoid it as the 98 had as i remember a poor frame as it replaced the jtx model 97. Engine wise it will be good but i rememebr the frames rotting in months and cracking. maybe its a later model which is should be ok. That age i would go Montesa or Beta.

Hi pillar,

it is a 1998 bike, no major problems with these. Linkage bearings and possible clutch plate problem with the fibres coming unstuck from the backing plates - symptoms for this are lots of clutch drag. Few of the frames can crack through use, under the headstock area, but certainly not endemic and easily fixed with a MIG. Fork bushes can wear causing incessant leakage past the seals, easily fixed. New seals last only a few months before leaking again, replacing the bushes and setting them up properly cures the leaking problem.

Bye, PeterB.