4rt To 2t To 4rt

borus

Hi

i didn't want to steel jimw thread so i started another one building on jimw thread

quote "Hello all,

I had an '05 Mont a couple of years ago but then went the 2 stroke route. I fancy a return and am currently weighing up my options"

i'd love to hear your thoughts behind going from the 4rt to 2t and why you considering a change back

anybody else wanting to share their 2t to 4t experience would be appreciated

cheers ;)

Hi Borus,

Can't really give you a good answer - I'm rather fickle and until I accept it is me that is the problem I will continue to blame it on the bike and assume the grass is always greener! At the time I didn't like the apparent weight, the on-off clutch action, the effort required to hop front and rear, the quite marked engine braking and the fact that once it started spinning you were doomed! I've been through 3 Betas and one Sherco since then and to be fair would probably (and may still do so) continue with Beta except for the carburation which I find troublesome ( I moved to a flat slide which I really like but its requires mucho fiddling -- I had an 06 Gasser and that ran really sweetly but wasn't very well built - in fact if I could put a gasser motor in a beta frame I'd be happy. On the positive side the Mont had excellent build quality and much scope for modification and when I had one I didn't really give it a chance ( still had my Beta so didn't really 'commit').

Might still go for a Beta, or a Gasser or..........

Regards

Jim

lots of people do seem to struggle switching and a few riders in my area have seemed to struggle when they have switched to a 4 stroke ,but i seemed to gel very quick with my montesa and i feel my riding improved, its maybe not so good on the trick riding but the stability is excellent and once you are used to the engine charateristics they grip really well,especially in streams and rocks and i think it rides better in a flowing ridding style .i must admit it does seem strange jumping on a gasser after 7 months on an rt,feels like a push bike but i will be staying on a 4 stoke for a while yet.

ps my last bikes were a raga 300 and a 250 beta.

Edited by asc

Depends. One good club rider in our area switched to the 4RT couldn't get on with it and went to a Beta 2t then on to a Beta 4t. Did well enough but bought the new Raga and has had his best results for a while. The problem is it's expensive trying out the options!!!!!!!!!!

Hi

i didn't want to steel jimw thread so i started another one building on jimw thread

quote "Hello all,

I had an '05 Mont a couple of years ago but then went the 2 stroke route. I fancy a return and am currently weighing up my options"

i'd love to hear your thoughts behind going from the 4rt to 2t and why you considering a change back

anybody else wanting to share their 2t to 4t experience would be appreciated

cheers ;)

I would be interested to hear your thoughts(pros and cons) about changing between 2strokes and 4strokes.

funnily enough I prefer a 4strokes for Enduros and trail riding but prefer a 2strokes for trials.

I think we will all be forced on 4strokes in the future anyway?

I've been from 4rt to 2t back to 4rt then another 2t and now i'm sure the 4rt is the right bike, going back to 4rt ! ..... but then again, sould i stay 2t ? :thumbup:

Seriously, in my humble the 4rt out classes any 2t for all round riding experience ... 4rt is king ;)

can you elaborate a little more - cheers

I think its down to personal opinion but i've had a cabby rep, raga rep and the standard bikes also. Notthing puts a smile on my face like the 4rt. They are a bit harder to go certian terrain (wet muddy climbs and general grip in the wet).

I ride enduro also and funnly enough, I much prefere a 2t for enduro riding ???? ... it's down to what you like and your style of riding .... there isnt a bad bike if it runs right and is set up properly, they are all fun ;)

As Daggs says "nothing puts a smile on my face like the 4rt" I feel like that every time i fire it up, no bike so far has felt like the 4rt for fun. Struggled with grip for the first 6-7 months on it,was absolutley appalling on it the first 2 months in the wet but got the hang of it now, I think alot of people give up with the Mont without giving it a good go, they do grip and grip loads once you learn how to ride it. I cant see me ever changing it to be honest, no mechanical problems at all, rides exactly the same whatever conditons and weather and next to no maintenance needed compared to a 2 stroke.

The 4rt is big and heavier than the other bikes but Iam sure this is why it feels so stable, the suspension is in another league to anything else and I can actually hop the Mont about better than any 2 stroke ive ever had.

Edited by The Addict

Would you be willing to share your method to finding grip ?? Cheers Gordon

Yes mate, 10 months on the bike and sticking with it :iamwithstupid: dont give up on the 4rt due to grip, you will learn in time, no-one was worse than me to start with

Edited by The Addict

hey,

Have the uk montesa's different setup? Here in belgium anybody i know whit a 4rt finds its the best bike for finding grip. The bike isnt that great in taking steps and hopping the front (to heavy) clutch isn't that great eather (2005 mod). i will stay with fourstroke power but mayby try the sherco, it feels lighter to me but the engine isn't that smooth.

regards bob