Flywheel Key

brian r

I think the only pitfall is if the key slides back in it's slot as you push the flywheel on.

This would put the flywheel out of true, and as some one mentioned, you'll be able to see it if you start the bike and look at the flywheel before putting the cover back on.

Make sure you follow the torque spec.

I can't remember how the torque runs on these, offhand.

I'd guess 75-85 lbs.

Brian, was this your TL? My old one did it a couple of times.

The question is why did it occur?

1.Improper key or key insertion. I ordered keys several times from Honda, never fit right. Ended up making a key fit EXACTLY right from a larger one. They will push back like Charlie says and prevent a good seat, especially if they are slightly too tall.

2. Improper mating surfaces. If it's sheared before, likely the surface is buggered now from the spinning with the broken key in there. Use a file to knock down any ridges, especially at the keyway, then lap with compound until all shiney.

3. Inadaquate torque when tightening, I'm sure you are using a good air wrench right? I could never hold one and tighten it right with a socket or spanner or torque wrench.

4. This one's just my theory. Timing is too much advanced and/or compression too high. That was my problem after I built the TL to 168cc. I had to run VP C4 (110 octane) to keep the timing advanced and keep it from knocking. Lugging around followed by a burst of wrist and BAM, she'd knock and shear a key. Happened twice. The rotor has so much mass that when it knocks the rotor shears itself from the momentum. If this is happening, repeat items 1, 2 and 3. Worked for me.

Frank

Thanks guys. It was the Gas Gas and I have bumped the timing up a bit. That's why the flywheel was taken off the first time. When I put it back on the first time I probably didn't get it tight enough. The second time it sheared I had it pretty tight and have ridden it quite a bit. I was revving it up to clean it out and it sheared at full throttle. I'm always a little scared of over tightening and stripping threads. BTW that Gas Gas seems to have more compression than any other bike I've seen. It's at least twice as hard to kick than any new bike. It was probably fiddled with by Ryan. I don't know how he had enough @$$ to kick the thing over at all! :rolleyes:

Well, it's back together. The key had slipped some and the back of the flywheel was a little buggered as well as the key.Part of the key had apparently slipped and got shearedby the flywheel being torqued back. I got it fixed up pretty well. I sanded the crank with a fine grit paper and I needed to run a file inside the flywheel for the key to fit in the slot. I also ran the paper inside the flywheel to take off any high spots. I put the flywheel on without a nut and it felt like it was on the crank nice and tight. I then put the nut on with a little impact. I then pulled it right off and checked to see that the key hadn't moved. It looked good. I then put it back on and torqued the heck out of it. I started it up and I saw no wobble at all. BTW, I found it much easier to work on with the stator taken off. Not that it matters, but if you wan't to see the bike, it's the one under "Alan's Ramblings" thread. That's Doug McIntosh on his head.

Thanks for the tips.

I didn't have any valve grinding compound handy but I did put it on without a key and spun the flywheel. I looked for shiney spots and cleaned it up good. After that I could set the flywheel on the shaft without the key and it seemed to have a nice tight fit. By just setting it on I could turn the crank. After that I put it together checking to make sure the key didn't slide in the slot. I should have done that before I fixed it the first time. The first time it broke, I'm sure I was too easy on tightening the nut. Always afraid of stripping threads!

If you are planning on owning and working on your bikes for several more years, I'd highly recommend saving your pennies then purchasing a torque wrench. It removes those fears of stripping threads AND provides the tool needed to properly torque fasteners all over the machine. A passable torque wrench costs about the same as 4 quarts of Silkolene (stateside) and is a one time purchase. It would be a very good investment.

Ed

I'm a vintage Hodaka Trials rider so I'm not able to visualize the flywheel you've got. But I'd bet you could bend up your own flywheel holder tool out of 1/4" steel rod. That's what I did for my Hodaka. Even a garden variety propane torch will provide enough heat for easy bending at relatively precise locations.