Clutch Fluid

280pro

This depends on what year your pro is and what color the clutch reservoir cap is.

If its a dark green cap then you need to use mineral oil.

If its a black cap then you should use dot 4 from the auto store.

Regardless if they are oem caps they should say what fluid to put in on top of the cap.

If its those really cool trick machined caps then give the year up and we will go from there.

I think that the transition to mineral oil happened in 2006?

Can any one back me up on that?

--Biff

Edited by biffsgasgas

I think rather 2005.

-Jan

Correct, and the Raga edition used mineral oil in the 04' model. A lot of the updates for the coming year appear on Raga's bike first, such as the new frame for instance, and I guess they feel if Adam can't break it, it should work for the average rider......

Jon

Having bleed my clutch up recently I found out that I had two black o-rings under the top hat in the slave cylinder and not a green u ring and one black o-ring.

So do I need to use mineral oil or can I use a synthetic brake / clutch fluid ????( dot 5.1)Product Details

I have a green ome top with new seals fitted to the master cylinder.

Gas Gas 05 pro txt

Correct, and the Raga edition used mineral oil in the 04' model. A lot of the updates for the coming year appear on Raga's bike first, such as the new frame for instance, and I guess they feel if Adam can't break it, it should work for the average rider......

Jon

I watched Raga in Sweden, and I can tell that my GasGas is getting wery different torture than his bike does. Whitch is getting worst torture I cant tell :thumbup:

-Jan

Having bleed my clutch up recently I found out that I had two black o-rings under the top hat in the slave cylinder and not a green u ring and one black o-ring.

So do I need to use mineral oil or can I use a synthetic brake / clutch fluid ????( dot 5.1)Product Details

I have a green ome top with new seals fitted to the master cylinder.

Gas Gas 05 pro txt

You can use DOT-5 with anything (only if the whole system is flushed is it a good idea to change types of fluid) and DOT- 5.1, 4 and 3 are interchangable in a system designed for that type from what I understand. Mineral oil is necessary in the "green" systems and you can use Silicone (DOT-5) if the system is flushed, but nothing else. I'm guessing (again, with a flushed system) you might be able to use mineral oil in a DOT-5.1, 4, 3 system but I would probably change the seals/o-rings just to be safe.

As your M/C has the green top, I'd use only mineral oil (the special clutch type, NOT the drug store stuff) or if you flush the system, you can change to DOT-5, which I understand makes the clutch about 20% smoother. I convert all my clutch systems to DOT-5 since it is unusually inert and does not eat the M/C rubber boot and it's a lot easier to work with when bleeding the system.

Jon

I watched Raga in Sweden, and I can tell that my GasGas is getting wery different torture than his bike does. Whitch is getting worst torture I cant tell :thumbup:

-Jan

I think I understand what you mean, I know I fall over a lot more than Raga....

Jon

This depends on what year your pro is and what color the clutch reservoir cap is.

If its a dark green cap then you need to use mineral oil.

If its a black cap then you should use dot 4 from the auto store.

Regardless if they are oem caps they should say what fluid to put in on top of the cap.

If its those really cool trick machined caps then give the year up and we will go from there.

I think that the transition to mineral oil happened in 2006?

Can any one back me up on that?

--Biff

my bike is a 2002 280 pro and has a black cap