First Ride In The Dirt With The Sps Carb

wayne thais

I was able to ride the 4T up at the club today, first ride with the new SPS carb. The bike performed GREAT, super good power, pulled strong in every gear, absolutely no hesitation and it started on the first or second kick every time after even after dropping it on the RH side.

I rode it up hills, down hills, over big logs up steep banks and even on the Hare Scramble course, ran great in every condition. It will putt putt along in first or second gear at idle and then accelerate very smoothly.

I am very happy with this bike, I now prefer it to the 2.9 2T.

Wayne

I was able to ride the 4T up at the club today, first ride with the new SPS carb. The bike performed GREAT, super good power, pulled strong in every gear, absolutely no hesitation and it started on the first or second kick every time after even after dropping it on the RH side.

I rode it up hills, down hills, over big logs up steep banks and even on the Hare Scramble course, ran great in every condition. It will putt putt along in first or second gear at idle and then accelerate very smoothly.

Wayne

great feedback, now it will interesting to see if the new ignition advance curve on the 09's makes a difference, i'm planning to find as soon as i can

cheers

Hi there, interested in your post about the carb. Can you tell me anymore about it - the model, price, availability etc? Cheers!
I got the the carb from Ryan Young Products www.rypusa.com, the list price is $500.

Wayne

Did you buy it?

Wayne

had a 4 hour ride (starting and stopping alot) on a brand new 10th aniversery today with the sps carb, started first kick everytime, no hesitation at all, it simply ran great, lots of power, pulls like a tractor, i was impressed

cheers :lol:

had a 4 hour ride (starting and stopping alot) on a brand new 10th aniversery today with the sps carb, started first kick everytime, no hesitation at all, it simply ran great, lots of power, pulls like a tractor, i was impressed

cheers :huh:

How would you compare it to your 07 caby?

Wayne

How would you compare it to your 07 caby?

Wayne

at normal timing the caby has very strong fast linear power (on / off type power), at retarded timing the caby has very controllable smooth power, i'm currently using a slow throttle, one thing nice about a 2t is you can dial in the power you want with ignition timing

the 4t has very strong and long linear power, i didn't mind the fast throttle at all although i might be tempted to try the slow throttle to compare. btw, the 4t is a blast to ride, i now know why everyone says that.

both motors run excellent, the caby is and feels lighter, easier to flick around, the 4t extra weight is felt right where it is, high and forward. once your riding the 4t the weight is not an issue, if you jump right back on the 2t it's noticeable. i do wonder if the 4t may beat you up a bit more in a long tough trial? i can feel the difference of the maps on the caby, could not feel the difference on the 4t, maybe requires more map testing to understand the difference on the 4t.

i did ride a couple of small sections with both bikes, i thought that maybe the 4t tracked better but it was near the end of the day when i tried the 2t again and i was tired.

i'm leaning in the direction of the 4t because of the power characteristics, but i'm very happy with the caby also. to me it is not that one bikes better, it's which one is right for you?

cheers

Hauled the bike to OK, to visit our daughter and her fiancee. Rlracer took me to Langley and it took 14 kicks to get it started, after it warmed up it was still hard to start. I turned the air screw in about 1/8 turn and it stated much better. Back at the truck it started on the first kick....go figure. I rode his 300 Beta and really liked it, he rode my 3.2 and liked it except the rear shock spring needed to be reset for him.

Wayne

I did enjoy the bike on the cambers, but couldn't cristen in the rocks like I wanted to it needed a turn or two on the spring, just no lift. Yes Copie he he. I'll see you next week.

Tomorrow i'll let Wayne have a go on the Beta with full power in the back yard . I think Wayne was a little disapointed as I was counting 7,8,9,10,11,12,13, then it light off on 14 probly a little lean from the gas I gave him or the good air here in Oklahoma, more flow !

When I get the bike home I will have to turn the shock spring adjuster a round or two, I have not adjusted it since I got it and it has settled a bit.

Wayne

I wish I had known, would have left RL my special little wrench to make things easier. I just did my '07 for the second time. Still got to pull the airbox though, must have taken all of 10 min! A few minor adjustments with the heat gun made my airbox fit like a glove going in and out! Fits the mudguard junction better too.

Anyway, I had to take mine up about 3 1/2 rounds first time as I recall. 2 or so the second time.

Personally, though mine is plush, I know where RL is coming from as he would do better with a heavier spring. But he has the Beta set for him, which is very firm for me as well!

He is not really fat, just big, and #50 makes a big difference! My little 2.9 with some smoothing is way too mellow for him, he did'nt say it but I understand! :huh:

Mark, I am going to leave the bike with RL and let him sell it for me. You will see it next week. We did go ahead and add some rounds to the shock adjuster, very easy job. If you still have the seat that that you took off of your wifes bike would you bring it. I would like to recover it and put it on my new bike when it comes in.

Thanks,

Wayne