What Price ?

slogger

Sounds a bit steep for almost 10 yrs old ??? Have seen 2002 shercos etc go for that sort of money ? do Beta's carry a premium and is their much in weight/performance by stepping up 2-3 years newer ??

I do agree that this one looks very tidy though..........

Edited by slogger

Sorry if I sound unsympathetic to your budget coz I dont mean to be, but if you've seen an 02 Sherco go for 650 pounds, then it was probably a bit of a shed! I agree with godzilla, not neccesarily about the make, but it would definately be better to have a good old bike than a crap newer one.

No offence taken, weve all got to buy to our means and its taken me 6 months of hard saving to get to that stage! Key thing now is to spend it wisely otherwise its just wasted...

Appreciate the advice. Was worried about about going over the potential 10 yr barrier as I dont have a scooby about modern trials bike prices hence the reason for getting a steer from guys who know much better than me..................

Sounds like the beta at around the 6-650 is a solid punt

Where Im struggling is that I am seeing twin shocks going for similar money ? it just does not make sense !

A Beta Techno would be a really good buy in my opinion. I would rather have one of those...(really solid bikes) than something a little newer frankly.

Yeah..the twinshock riders still seem to say they ride them coz its cheaper, but its not is it!! I reckon they all just like to reminisce(sp?)

Go for a techno or something similar I would...but up to you!

Getting on for a year ago I bought a 96 Techno, I was told by the owner that he bought it at 6 months old and that he hadn't done any maintenance on it since. So as you would expect, it was in a bit of a state. But with some TLC it has been a good bike, it always starts first or second kick, and nothing seems to fall off it.

The only real anti is that it is heavy compared to later bikes

Just a couple of points to check, the front wheel is held in by a clamp on one of the fork legs, the clamp is part of the casting at the back of the fork,and there is a bolt at the front, so there has to be some flexing at the back when the wheel is removed and replaced, on mine the clamp was broken at the back, by the looks of it due to metal fatigue, and required a replacement fork leg (Painful).

Also the swinging arm bearing were shot (Not suprising after 11 years of abuse), unfortunately when I carried out this work I found that one of the journals that the swinging arm bearings sit in had cracked right through, so a new swinging arm required (more pain).

I don't know if these are common faults with the Techno, but worth a look anyway.

The good news is that parts are still avaliable.

Cheers

Andy