Stuff To Do At A Trials Ground For Beginner - Suggestions?

men8ifr

Any-one got suggestions of fun stuff to do to try and get my skills up as a beginner? I tend to find I end up riding round a bit aimlesssley after a while. A mate had some flags that were very good to mark a bit of a course out - any suggestions there?

Also another question, do you find a trials helmet over a MX one helps a lot of makes things easier or more comfortable? I'm also using MX boots but will wait until I'm doing a lot more trials before buying a set of boots I think, the MX one's dont seem much of a hinderance...

Any-one got suggestions of fun stuff to do to try and get my skills up as a beginner? I tend to find I end up riding round a bit aimlesssley after a while. A mate had some flags that were very good to mark a bit of a course out - any suggestions there?

Also another question, do you find a trials helmet over a MX one helps a lot of makes things easier or more comfortable? I'm also using MX boots but will wait until I'm doing a lot more trials before buying a set of boots I think, the MX one's dont seem much of a hinderance...

A couple of suggestions: go to a hardware store and buy some surveyor's tape (same color as the tape used in your local club Trial) to make up a practice section, you'll find that riding a taped section, psychologically and visually, is far different from the flags. It's kinda like having two sections that are completely and exactly identical, one of dirt and the other of rock, yet the rock section is a lot more intimidating, even thorgh they are exactly the same. Tighter and tighter figure 8's on the side of a small hill will teach you a bunch as you will learn about moving weight all around the bike, peg weighting and smooth transition from throttle to brakes. It's probably the best single practice exercise you can do.

Trials helmets are different from MX, for instance, the "cut out" at the back of the neck is higher so when you lift your head up while standing, the brow of the front will not drop down and push the helmet/visor down into your field of vision. The MX boots are usually heavier, have less flexibility at the ankle and have soles designed to slide, rather than grip. As a step forward (no pun intended) you might have the MX boots you have re-soled at the local cobbler with a Vibram lug pattern for grip. You'll be much happier the first time you have to dab in a muddy, mossy slick rock section. You can keep them as a spare after you get new Trials boots.

Jon

Edited by JSE

Grab some objects such as small blocks of wood or pieces of paper and place them on the ground in some random spots. Practice pulling a wheelie and setting the front tire down on each object and stopping. This will help you work on tire placement such as on a log or approaching a rock. Tire placement can come in handy and it looks simple but you will miss the markers the first few times you try it. I have illustrated what I mean in the picture below. Mix it up and throw out random markers to land your front tire on.

Markerexercise.jpg

The other thing I would suggest is hopping off the bike while its in motion to the left and then hopping back on then hopping off to the right all while running next to the bike. This will give you some confidence in getting off the bike in an emergency so you don't get caught up on the bike. This one gets tiring but really helps you gain some respect for what the bike is doing underneath your body.

--Biff

biffsgasgas Posted Today, 06:49 PM

The other thing I would suggest is hopping off the bike while its in motion to the left and then hopping back on then hopping off to the right all while running next to the bike. This will give you some confidence in getting off the bike in an emergency so you don't get caught up on the bike.

Kind of like me on section 1 last sunday??? I needed to get away from the bike on the way down. :rolleyes:

How can someone practice for going over the bars? You and I both did that last sunday also. Although yours were probably more spectacular. :lol:

Balance, balance, balance. Tight turns, figure eights. Learn to love the clutch. "slipping" the clutch also for finding grip in less than optimum traction conditions. (mud) As silly as it may seem practice bending your knees. This will help with "preload and unloading" later in your trials fun.

copemech Posted Yesterday, 11:22 PM

And that is why they go over the bars, you just need to know where your rear wheel is!

I knew exactly where my rear wheel was..........rapidly approaching the rear of my skull as we progressed in a gentle arc to ground on the other side of the elevated log. :lol:

Your probably going to practice wheelies, try slow speed ones, they are much harder and will improve your throttle control.

"wheelies" are very important in Trials, not necessarily the long, flashy, around the corners ones, but just a few inches to a foot to start with.

You'll need them to go up steps and probably starting uphill on a small slope is easier to begin with. Also try small steps by giving the bike a little throttle to extend the forks out to be able to "absorb" the step and then unweight the rear to glide up the step. Timing is very important so don't get discouraged at first, it will get easier as time goes on.

Jon