Clearing Out An Exhaust

sdeane01

Hi there,

I have an 06 sherco and the exhaust is very clogged with oily s@#t. How do you clean this out. I understand that there is a material in there, but i am down on power and response as a result, you can hear how clogged up the bike is. Any help appreciated.

If it's more of a crackle these days than a healthy sounding burble, it may need burning out. Have a search of the forums for ways to burn it out. I've bored people with it a couple of times :P

Out of interest, what age group are we talking? I don't want to be encouraging teenagers to set fire to themselves or their house. It's a little dodgy to say the least, so you've got to be really careful if you do try it. I've done it quite a few times, but please proceed with caution. :huh:

Sounds like you need to change the baffle packing in your back box?

Not sure about the Sherco, on some its just a matter of grinding off some rivets to open the exhuast and then re-rivet, others just have screws and some you actually have to angle grind open and re-weld which sounds like a nightmare!

Are you talking about the exhaust or the silencer?

I did my exhaust with caustic soda, same method they use for kitchen stuff. Watch your fingers :P

For the silencer I was searching for my previous post but can't find it.

Here's what I've done to mine and my lads a couple of times. It really does clear it out if it's the loud crackle you're trying to get rid of.

1. Remove silencer from bike

2. Remove the rubber O ring from the front of it.

3. Pour fuel inside - fill it up if you want.

4. Leave for a few hours to soak

5. Pour more fuel inside, then DRAIN IT ALL OUT, just drip dry for a few seconds

6. Move to a VERY safe hardstanding with plenty of room

7. At arms length plus a bit (or even better at someone else's arms length) light the silencer - dont stand in line with it :P

8. Once the initial flames start to subside, blast a compressor in each end to provide oxygen.

9. Enjoy your very own jet engine.

10. Relight until it won't burn.

11. Repeat once. Note. start from step 5 - if you find you need to start from step 1 you've got problems :huh:

12. Wait to cool

13. Get your autosol out, it'll be a bit black but will clean up easily.

Edited by bikespace

Bikespace, that's a neat touch with the compressed air.

Mrs Scudo gets back tonight and I'm in trouble as I followed your instructions and any advice on removing scorch marks from the lounge carpet would be extremely welcome!

How do I get the kids back as they are now in council care and under sedation for shock after I was arrested under terrorism laws for fire bombing the street!! :huh:

Bikespace, that's a neat touch with the compressed air.

Mrs Scudo gets back tonight and I'm in trouble as I followed your instructions and any advice on removing scorch marks from the lounge carpet would be extremely welcome!

How do I get the kids back as they are now in council care and under sedation for shock after I was arrested under terrorism laws for fire bombing the street!! :huh:

Forget about the kids, tell your good lady the kids burnt the carpet so you've sorted it - had them taken in to care. Job's a good 'un. You'll save a fortune, very expensive kids are!

I'll have to sort you muppets on this, soon as I find the piccies! :huh:

Here we go!

You will need an industrial heat gun that has a selectable switch, fan, off, heat!

Most of these seem to well fit the Sherco muff inlet!

Some scrap lumber can build you a rack to fit it!

post-36-1223607040.jpg

Edited by copemech

After you turn on the heat, it may smoke for awile as in previous pic. If buildup is signifigant and enough to support combustion, it will ignite! This may take some time.

You will see flame at the tip! Time to cut off the heat and just let the fan run to provide air to feed the flame!

post-36-1223607630.jpg

Edited by copemech

If your muff is Soooo loaded up with fuel and oily residue that it continues to burn too long, there will be excessive heat buildup!

This excessive build up and burn time can cause irreperable damage and a sinking feeling in the gut similar to tying a rubber band around your dangly parts and them falling off!

Logic tells me that a pre-flush with solvents to remove as much residue as possible, as per BS, may help prevent an overheat condition, yet you would want to well vent it first to remove any residual HC vapors.

Normally I would say they should self extinguish within a minute or so. Additional cooling for the ali, via water or ice pack may be an option and well advised. Keep the ali COOL!

If you total it, you probably needed a new one anyway! Don't blame me. None of this is approved for general use and extreme caution should be used at all times as personal injury may result! You have been advised! :huh:

post-36-1223609108.jpg

My lad has a 125 and the exhaust has had a section cut out a

to allow re packing, panle then replaced using self tappers and silicone. Just seen that the top mount has cracked and come aprt. Having this welded hopefully....I guess the heat in welding might have a similar affect !!

Thankfully, this was not my pipe!

You see it is difficult to control what folks do with these things, yet the basics still apply here.

Too much oil in the fuel mix.(more than 80:1)not neccessary

Poor quality oil(non synthetic)will tend to gum up more or harden worse

Too much octane(race gas)can lead to less combustion efficiency

Putting about and never getting the exhaust warm enough for things to move.

All this can lead to a clogged muff! And if you simply let this stuff accumulate, you may be in trouble.

That is my theory and I'm stickin to it! :huh: