Swm 240 Help

motovintage

I am going to look at a swm trials next week, the owner thinks it's a 1981 240, supposed to be all there except the seat, rear shocks, and kick lever, and in decent condition otherwise, what should I be looking for? are these good bikes? I have never rode a swm, I remember when Bernie and Martin were riding them in the 80's, I will probably buy it if the price isn't too high, how is parts availability for them? is there a model identification guide available?

They are good bikes , solidly built and reliable

Engine spares easily available but some cycle parts can be hard to find

but a good all round bike

I have a 1980 320 and absolutly love it - much more fun to ride

than my old 290 Shedco

Have a look here at Martin Matthews website- www.motoswm.com

Email martin - he will be able to answer all you need to know

Yes I agree, Martin is a solid contact for everything SWM & Gori for that matter. He comes highly recommended.

However, the kickstart may be a problem, the lower knuckles are available but the swinging lever part is not. Martin had considered having some made provided he got a fair demand.

Big John

I got the SWM, sadly the piston appears to have melted to the cylinder, it's probably beyond my financial ability to recurect at this time unless I get lucky on some engine parts, it seems a very well made bike, it bears a resemblence to my Beta TR33, is there a tie to the swm and beta '80's bikes? both made in Italy ?? here is a pic, thanks for the help & the link

swm81240.jpg

I got the SWM, sadly the piston appears to have melted to the cylinder, it's probably beyond my financial ability to recurect at this time unless I get lucky on some engine parts, it seems a very well made bike, it bears a resemblence to my Beta TR33, is there a tie to the swm and beta '80's bikes? both made in Italy ?? here is a pic, thanks for the help & the link

swm81240.jpg

I think I may be able to help you out with a new piston....see pm.

Cheers

Martin

got the cylinder off and the crank & rod are siezed, looks like a vacum leak may have leaned out the mixture and overheated the piston and rod, and it looks like it may have got moisture in the crank case, if any one locally has a line on a repairable 240 or 320 motor or parts bike, please pass it on

thanks,