Ty Over The Years 1984-1992(3)

pat

Been thinking of how many TY been sold during the period 84-92?

*UK

*US

*Australia

*tot Europe

*Japan

*Scandinavia

Does any of you have an idea?

I would go that far and guess its the most sold, reliable (and loved) production trials bike ever built. And by youtube we all can see whats possible to do with these bikes...

Guess most of them would still be ready to race with basic TLC..most spares and lots of update knowledge available ..(mine were almost beaten to d, but now after a lazy rebuild she performs like a dream, std rear susp works perf -mod but unrebuild, have not done all available engine updates yet, ..well enough for me).

In my opinion, thinking of all these bikes available at resonable prices, it would be possible to start a new class Pre-85 mono, or Pre-87 mono/airc/drum/chassie...

Edited by Pat

I never really clicked with the TY, but I accept that there were so many mods that it would almost certainly have been possible to get one to ride how I would have liked.

However, I love the idea of an AC mono category! All those great bikes from the late 80s like the Fantics and the wonderful TR34 Beta.

Trouble is, it would push the price up of these old stagers and I would miss out!

Been thinking of how many TY been sold during the period 84-92?

*UK

*US

*Australia

*tot Europe

*Japan

*Scandinavia

Does any of you have an idea?

I would go that far and guess its the most sold, reliable (and loved) production trials bike ever built.

Did you mean to type "sold" or "solid"? If you meant "sold", then I think you need to think again. Maybe you are a bit young to have witnessed what happened in the 1970s but Bultaco Sherpa Ts and Yamaha twinshock trials bikes would both have outsold air-cooled Yamaha monos by a ratio of at least 10 to 1, and are also well loved by the riders of their era.

I do think a class for air cooled monos would be good for the people who like riding them.

Feet,

Im an old fart :D Lost interest for trials, motorcycles in general for 25 years..

Wrote and ment sold, TYR and TYS from Yamaha 84-92 and riders time spent riding not crying.

Yes I know lots of other bikes were sold during the 70

The bit I'm a bit lost with is that you are mentioning the relative cost of things that priceless. Since when does the cost of your hobby/dreams/memories come into the equation? Yes my twinshocks have cost lots of $$$ and I've spent thousands of hours in my workshop but riding those bikes is still probably the best value for money fun I have ever had in my life.

I suspect that my lukewarm feelings about TY monos are because I eased up on riding trials in about 1980 and it was 1994 before I became fully obsessed again. The years of riding from 1973 to 1980 are burned forever into my psyche. I suspect that you have a connection with TY monos for a similar reason.

I owned one and my dad owned two.

His first was an 85 that was ported by ginder and ran like a top. We were in northern canada and found a 92 pinky from a dealer who wanted to ditch it. 1200 us at the time. That pinkey was great.

Mine was an 86 with piston slap and a fox rear shock. I only lubed the swing arm and rode the bike. That thing just ran and ran and ran.... I will post a pic later on.

--Biff