Sherco 250 - What Year Did The Changes Come..?

tc3nitro

The 2007 and 2008 models were tuned to be smoother than the previous models but still have plenty of power it is just delivered more smoothly. 2006 models were quick off the mark and in my opinion grip was hard to find. I have no experience of pre 2006 models so can not comment on these.

Any 290 of any year would carry an Elephant

.....don't concern yourself with this. Just go out a test ride one.

If your a new rider the power will scare the crap out of you on the rocks ;)

Best of balance.

Neo

Edited by Neo

Heard that the earlier Sherco 250's had very soft setup and been a heavy rider i would like to avoid this.

What yeah did they change over ?

Mark

Very soft set up,250? I'll have to presume we're talking about power delivery and not suspension.

I've only sampled '05 and earlier models which were known for their snappy power delivery (a lot of riders + me, chose the 290 instead for it's softer power ).

Most of the 07/08 bike reviews claim that the 250 motor has been worked-on to produce a less snappy power delivery so I'm not sure if this is what you're getting at?

If it is suspension we're talking about ,I reckon the earlier bikes (inc. my own 01,03,04,05 models) had basic ''wooden'' shocks/forks with very little adjustment whereas later models had more scope for a personal set-up.

Edited by HAM2

The new 09 250 Uk spec is an excellent bike with a very nice power spread. Sherco seemed to have got the suspension message as well.

Out of the box I think it feels compliant, comfortable and moves about easily. It seems to me to be different from an 07 bike which I did not like because the power band seemed to be biased towards the top end coming in more suddenly - hence comments made about not finding grip.

To describe the 290 as having 'soft' power is one opinion - there are other ways of describing it!

However if you are a seriously big bloke go for the 290 and hang on.

I do think that snappiness can be calmed with the right gearing to a certain extent - I have a 290, and had a GasGas280 before it (also known to be a handful). I've ridden a few 250's and not found them too snappy, just a little more restricted (may be bad description that bit)

I feel that a higher gear and clutch control can take a fair bit of snap out of it. I suppose you've got to know that you can control that. If you're likely to lose the strength in your arms to keep that clutch under control then maybe you'll create yourself more of a runaway bike problem while you cure the snappiness ;)

Just out of interest, maybe you'll know Cope, does the 250 have a lighter flywheel in any of the models? Just wondering if maybe that's creating some of the snap?

I do think that snappiness can be calmed with the right gearing to a certain extent - I have a 290, and had a GasGas280 before it (also known to be a handful). I've ridden a few 250's and not found them too snappy, just a little more restricted (may be bad description that bit)

I feel that a higher gear and clutch control can take a fair bit of snap out of it. I suppose you've got to know that you can control that. If you're likely to lose the strength in your arms to keep that clutch under control then maybe you'll create yourself more of a runaway bike problem while you cure the snappiness B)

Just out of interest, maybe you'll know Cope, does the 250 have a lighter flywheel in any of the models? Just wondering if maybe that's creating some of the snap?

No difference in flywheel. Just bore and porting really. ;)