Map Switch

postmanpat

Had an 05 250 for a bit and then had a test ride on this new bike. I know there is a lot of, oh you need to tame it down talk, but i love it :hyper:

I also ride a 280, with a few modifications to suit my lack of riding talent, and I find it fun to ride and easy to get along with. The 280 is perhaps the one that is little more hyper of the trio (250/280/300) but easily modified to suit the rider. Some of the bikes came with a 41T rear sprocket, which tends to make them a little "fast" for a lot of riders, but a 44T off the 200 Pro fixes that and does not contribute to accelerated chain wear. A black tube Domino throttle works wonders for rider control and a "stepped" Woodruff key to retard the static ignition advance will really smooth out the snap at off-idle throttle. All of these are reversable and can be changed if wanted.

Jon

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 42 t on mine.

You have suggested changing it to a 44 but is there any disadvantages in changing the front sprocket as apposed to the back. The reason i asked is because i have a smaller front sprocket in my garage than the one on my bike. Would i get the same result by doing this?

What was the factory standard sprocket set up?

11 front and 41 back.

I found my 250 pro was better with 10 front and a 43 back,

But it all depends on how you ride, what type of terain you ride and how you want the bike to repond.

I've got 125 gearing on my 200 which is 9 front 48 back. seems to be ok for me at the moment but i will

drop down to 10/44 when the summer months come and theres not so much mud about.

I have a 42 t on mine.

You have suggested changing it to a 44 but is there any disadvantages in changing the front sprocket as apposed to the back. The reason i asked is because i have a smaller front sprocket in my garage than the one on my bike. Would i get the same result by doing this?

It's cheaper and easier to change the front sprocket (and it generally is the same as adding 3+ teeth to the back). I don't like to run a small front sprocket as the chain wraps around the sprocket more (smaller diameter) and there is a heavier shock load in the engagement/disengagement of the teeth to rollers. If you have a smaller front sprocket already (it's probably a 10T), I'd say give it a try and see how you like it. Just spend a little time taking care of your chain as it will stress it a little more, but I don't see a big problem.

Jon

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I recently bought an 08 Raga replica which came with a mapping switch that was not fitted on the bike. I'm quite interested to try it out and was wondering which wires to connect it to. Not being an electrical genius, I was looking for a green and a black wire which isn't connected to anything but am guessing I'm wrong. can somebody please point me in the right direction.

Cheers Daz

11 front and 41 back.

I found my 250 pro was better with 10 front and a 43 back,

But it all depends on how you ride, what type of terain you ride and how you want the bike to repond.

I've got 125 gearing on my 200 which is 9 front 48 back. seems to be ok for me at the moment but i will

drop down to 10/44 when the summer months come and theres not so much mud about.

I also run 10/43on my 07 250 but in the winter when its slimey . I n the summer i change to 9/43 when theres more grip and the sections are tighter. Have i got this the wrong way round ? .Seems to find more grip for me this way round :thumbup:

Hi everyone. I recently bought an 08 Raga replica which came with a mapping switch that was not fitted on the bike. I'm quite interested to try it out and was wondering which wires to connect it to. Not being an electrical genius, I was looking for a green and a black wire which isn't connected to anything but am guessing I'm wrong. can somebody please point me in the right direction.

Cheers Daz

Daz,

Try looking for orange and black wires, male and female connectors that the bar switch plugs in to. They may be connected together.

Jon

Daz,

Try looking for orange and black wires, male and female connectors that the bar switch plugs in to. They may be connected together.

Jon

Cheers for that Jon, there is a pink and a black wire connected together with the correct connectors, both on the cdi. will try that.

Daz

Cheers for that Jon, there is a pink and a black wire connected together with the correct connectors, both on the cdi. will try that.

Daz

That's it, I think. The earlier Ducati had the orange/black ones from 05' on out and I think the Kokusan is the pink/black. I'm pretty sure that you will probably not be able to tell a big difference at very low RPM's, so look for the change in the upper range and differing traction conditions.

Jon

Hi Guys, I have an 04 Raga 300.

Can anyone Clarify the dual mapping or if it doesn't have dual mapping.

To change the mapping is it a case of plugging in the lap top, If so where can you get the soft wear from.

I read early the 05's you can unplug something for soft map?

Hi Guys, I have an 04 Raga 300.

Can anyone Clarify the dual mapping or if it doesn't have dual mapping.

To change the mapping is it a case of plugging in the lap top, If so where can you get the soft wear from.

I read early the 05's you can unplug something for soft map?

I think the 04' Raga system is kinda unique, with an EPROM, rather than the two ignition curves pre-programmed. I checked the GasGas Spain site just now and I see they do not list the "kit" with the hookup cable and software used to re-program the chip anymore. You might check with some dealers who may have what you need.

The 05' Pro's on up have the two curves installed, and I imagine they may have thought the infinite number of curves possible with the Ducati 04' Raga CDI were probably overkill and too technical for most riders to use correctly.

Jon

It's cheaper and easier to change the front sprocket (and it generally is the same as adding 3+ teeth to the back). I don't like to run a small front sprocket as the chain wraps around the sprocket more (smaller diameter) and there is a heavier shock load in the engagement/disengagement of the teeth to rollers. If you have a smaller front sprocket already (it's probably a 10T), I'd say give it a try and see how you like it. Just spend a little time taking care of your chain as it will stress it a little more, but I don't see a big problem.

Jon

Not to sure of the math in the states jon but here changing the front is much more like 4 on the back. 10 and 40?