Other Things!

copemech

As I don't really do the BLOG thing, I was spending a major part of the day today doing some major revamps on the computer in the shop, including a new hard drive install which takes forever! Transferring a lot of bits and such, I was looking at the piccie file and came across one which I shall post from mid '05 showing my ongoing Cessna project! By this point, I had been on it for a while as the motor had been revamped and the fuselage had been stripped and the base white applied. Many other repairs done along the way including new glass! Ready for striping!

As all things done as a labor of love in what spare time one can muster, about two years on into the project after taking weekends off to ride!!

Things go slowly when off time is few!

Edited by copemech

Obviously I will need to post some updated pics, yet it seems I have few over the time.

Mush was just a work in slow progress, including a change in the pair of wings, as the original ones from this were unsatisfactory due to mods and repairs.

The stripping and revamp of the new set along with the controls and fuel system was a major setback and time element, yet long hard nasty work ovet time prevailed, and this last year all the wing main components including control surfaces were finished and painted!

As it is once again winter, I am reminded of the last winter, when I spent much time doing upside down chores under the instrument panel and radios, which now are working as well!

I'll get some more modern pics, as things are coming together now! In the last few weeks much has occured including installation of the wings and controls, rigging and even fresh fuel in the tanks with a run of the motor and taxi tests! WOW! :huh:

Lookin good Cope!

My brother in law and sister have a Cesna as well. He is a Marine f18 pilot and loves to fly.

They could take day trips from Ashville to Orlando like it was no big thing. You spend a bit more in fuel but tons less in time.

This should make picking up your daughter in FL a lot easier when its done.

--Biff

An updated pic as of today.

This a 150, the Volkswagon of aircraft, yet will still make about 120 mph with two aboard. Creature comforts include a real electrical system, full set of basic instruments and radio, including moving map GPS navigation, and a heater. So stereo ipod on the headsets! Wow!

If I were to put a trials bike in it, I would have to remove the passenger seat and kram it in, much like the Miata! It is possible!

Mark,

Please remember to separate Flying from Trials. Below is a picture of a Cessna 180 I was in back in 1974. The pilot tried a couple of trials moves while landing. He first tried a wheelie and then a splater. We ended up going over the bars.

Cheers

Doug

post-304-1230565876.jpg

An updated pic as of today.

This a 150, the Volkswagon of aircraft, yet will still make about 120 mph with two aboard. Creature comforts include a real electrical system, full set of basic instruments and radio, including moving map GPS navigation, and a heater. So stereo ipod on the headsets! Wow!

If I were to put a trials bike in it, I would have to remove the passenger seat and kram it in, much like the Miata! It is possible!

Nice work, Mark!

I've been up a few times in the 150 and like you say, it's the Volksflugzeug of planes. Sturdy and simple, and I'm guessing that more pilots have flown in them than any other aircraft.

Are you running a Continential or Lycoming?

Jon

Very possible Cope! Removing the front forks rear wheel and shock and you would be surprised of where you can fit one of those things. Congrats man that looks like a great rig! I have no clue where you would land at the ttc but bush pilots in Alaska may be able to give a few pointers... hahahah

--Biff

Copey, you realise that you could now fly to the SSDT.......might take a while with plenty of stops but you'd get here in the end... :rolleyes: when i get the chance to do two seaters, I prefer these chaps here....curtesy of Her Britannic Majesty's Air Force...

Jon, the fab 150 uses the Conti O-200 motor which creates 100 screaming HP at about 2750rpm on a good day! Mine is a '76 M model, last of the '150s really, as there were only few built in '77 before the change to the '152" model with the Lycoming which had its advantages and disadvantages, but still the same basic airframe untill end of production. They are a workhorse, and were the basic trainers for many years, and still are!

This is the second one I have basically recovered from the junk yard as a labor of love. As the pure economics do not count if one considers his time and effort! Time has been an issue on this one, because I have been split! Between riding mostly, and the pure cost of things! The paint and materials alone cost about a grand! The endless hours of labor? Well, all I can san say is it will likely be the last one that I do!

As I have really laid off riding this year to get some progress on this thing (time and money) , seems as though I am back to near the point where even more money is required to finish out the interior. Not done quite yet! And this will effect the checkbook!

Biff, there is a nice little airport near TTC, in Jasper i think, I have considered this, as could do it in about 5-6 hours I think, one fuel stop! Weather permitting! Parts as you stated!

Slapshot, It has probably been done, but not for me! TOO much water, not that I am totally immune, as I have flown the Cessnas to the Bahamas. Made three trips to Florida in the 150's, two of which were over the gulf(lots of water), I still prefer the jets! Fact is, even in the Volksvagen, I could probably get an airline tick. Not as much fun, though you have had the spoils of the top jets! The only way to go!

Yet all said, there are still a few moments left I think, for those supreme times just above the clouds, about sunset, or sunrise! In a POS!

Awesome! :rolleyes: