Many Other People With These?

wayne_weedon

My dilemma is which to prepare and ride first. I have at least one example of each of the above and dont ask why! I think it must just be a mental illness? I once thought I was a Bultaco man through and through, but I must of been wrong.

Probably my 6sp Sherpa would take the least amount of work to get ready to ride again, I would appreciate opinions on shock choice though as I dumped the original Betors years ago.

The 330 Cota I did once have running, but I need to make a new output shaft as the last owner attacked it or rather the sprocket with an angle grinder and got carried away! Why did Montesa chose a taper mount!!

I also have an example of both 250 and 350 Grippers, but they may be a way off. Any past restorers here?

Also anyone know of spares sources for the Cota 25A ? If I get one of mine going, then sure enough my daughter will demand her bike is equally as pretty.

Wayne....

Yes Cota 25 Tyres are a concern, I guess oneday we'll have to try find something, re-rim perhaps.

Our 25A is not too bad actually. The mudguards need a bit of beating straight again, some chrome could do with being stripped and replated.

Fork Gaters and handlebar grips really do need replacing though. I actually bought the bike for my own amusement before my daughter was even born, but she is 5 next April, so maybe it's a good time to get her started.

Wayne....

Edited by wayne_weedon

OOOOOOOOOOOh look how many bikes you have, you must have the same problem as my wife choosing shoes to wear LOL

Nah! You not seen the state of em! Besides I'd bet there are a few here with more bikes. But I did tend to chose the stuff I lusted after way back rightly or wrongly.

Wayne....

It has to be the Sherpa, not because it is the best, purely because you say it needs the least work and virtually everything is available off the shelf for it. It has a nice engine, steering is a bit slow although not a problem in classic events which aren't marked out particularly tight. Exhaust must be packed correctly otherwise they just don't run well at all. Pig of a job to cut open, clean and repack but essential if it's going to run properly (witness the rebuilt 199a in another post that runs really rough, very likely due to a choked exhaust, or one that has blown all its packing out) For shocks, it's subjective really but I've used Falcons and had slightly longer end caps fitted so that it jacks the rear up a little, to keep the muguard away from the tyre and help quicken the slow steering a little.

The Gripper has much better suspension (assuming it has betors up front, I've no experience of the Telesco forks) particularly the rear. The Sherpa back end always feels a bit dead, or wooden compared to other bikes, even with decent shocks fitted. The Gripper steering is quicker, they find grip well and the 350 (actually 302cc) has a fair amount of power. The 250 can be made a bit more responsive if required if the heavy flywheel weight is removed from the crank on the clutch side and replaced with a MAR cushdrive. Ossa parts can be sourced but some may take time and they aren't as readily available off the shelf like the Sherpa.

The 330 Mont is similar, maybe worse, than the Ossa as regards parts availability. I've had a quick try on a couple recently but neither was in the best of fettle so difficult to form accurate opnions. It did feel as though it will easily find grip in mud, even with a badly worn tyre and shocks. Steering was quite sharp, suspension felt as though it could be good if correctly set up, motor was soft in delivery and had lots of pull. Felt like it could be a nice bike when sorted.

Has to be the Sherpa first, purely on the grounds of practicality - unless you're not in a hurry

But I did tend to chose the stuff I lusted after way back rightly or wrongly.

Wayne....

Rightly, without question - you can never have too much Spanish scrap in the shed. What are dreams for if you can't realise a few of them - even if they can turn into expensive friggin nightmares....

Well I think you just confirmed my own feelings on priority, it helps I have enough Bult spares to last a lifetime possibly.

The others although not in such good shape owe me little, I think the 330 cost me 150 13 years ago basically complete with quite a few new parts, the Yellow Gripper cost the same in boxes. The orange one was a gift from Jeff Bungay.

My 325 199A was fully restored by me some 16 years ago, but I was never totally happy with it although it looked great, and will probably do it all over and replace all the Miller Tat with my own parts.

Wayne.....

The sherpa's gotta be done first, as it'll be the easiest and quickest!!

And if you wanna donate an ossa, give me a shout!! :hyper: i've always fancied one!

Haha Cheeky! Well I as eager as you to try the Grippers out. As a 16 year old or thereabouts when they came out they seemed so radical, but way beyond my means at the time.

The funny thing is that I have been more often asked to part with the Cota 330. Mainly by the original rider, who's name I Forget. (Charlie something or other) If what I was told at purchase (During my honeymoon week off) he was a supported rider. Fork legs have Robinsons of Rochdale stickers on them, so thats maybe where it came from.

Wayne.....

Have a look at This video on Utube. Its my brother in law having a wee fart about on my cota 330.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PbVAsoPNyDA

I had seen it! Did you start to panic when the attempted wheelies started? Vid ended quite promptly at that point :hyper:

All those obstacles and non attempted hehe.

Spent some time looking for the new spares that came with my 330 yesterday. Damn even the naff chain tubes are there! What was all that about!! They won't be going back on....

I remember when I bough the machine I ordered mudguards from Sandifords just for when I found a round tuit. I remember one of them took an absolute age to come, and even then I'm not sure it was totally correct. I'll have to check them out later.

Wayne...