Removing The Rear Tyre

txt_280

Is there a nack to removing the tyre? I've a puncture and want to fix it, I tried getting the tyre off today and it didn't want to budge, I was only using small 8-10" levels that I use on the enduro bike, do I need to get the 2' car tyre levers out??

A big vice and a piece of wood. Place the wood at rear of vice to sit and protect the rim against, front jaws tight under rim and against the tye. Close jaws and bead will pop, turn wheel around and do reverse ... Bobs your uncle!

If you have an old car bottle jack, you can wedge a piece of timber between a door jam and the tyre then jack it off the rim.

However be warned, if you only have a foot pump, you are unlikely to get the new tyre back on the rim without a compressor.

If you have an old car bottle jack, you can wedge a piece of timber between a door jam and the tyre then jack it off the rim.

However be warned, if you only have a foot pump, you are unlikely to get the new tyre back on the rim without a compressor.

You can get a bead to re seat with a footpump if you have a beader.

The tyre beader is a great buy,cant imagine swapping a tyre without it now,so easy. I have found coating the beader itself with tyre soap works better than coating the tyre, pops straight out and more evenly.

Edited by The Addict

I used to jump up and down on a spade, but now use a 4 foot piece of 3x3 and a doorstep!

Put the wheel agains the wall below the doorstep resting on a couple of strips of wood to protect the disc/sprocket and rest a small block of wood agains the rim on the tyre. Wedge the 4foot piece under the doorstep and on top of the small block and push down. As long as the doorstep is sturdy enough, the bead will pop off in seconds! A lot cheaper and just as effective as a bead breaker!

I have since bolted a bit chunk of hardwood against the inside garage wall to take the place of the doorstep so I don't end up levering the doorstep off!

I used the big vice method as I've got one in the garage so seemed the easiest way.

Too my surprise there is no inner tube in the tyre!! I guess with running low psi a tube would be no good because of snake bites on rocks?

So my next question, do you need some sort of special glue type stuff to put the tyre back on to seal it around the bead?? how do you find/fix the puncture??