Tommi Ahvala Leaving Us

tahvala

I would like to inform you that after being here in US since 1998, I am going back to Europe. I have accepted a work offer from Gas Gas Spain to move back home and start working as a sales manager for northern Europe. I have worked with Gas Gas USA for the past 6 years and I would really like to thank them for the opportunity they have given me.These past six years have been unforgetable and I feel very fortunate to be able to travel in the USA and meet many great people. I'd like to thank Dale at Gasgas USA, Juan at Gasgas of America, Jim at Rising sun, Daryl at Stunttours, Dan at TTC, Jon at Classic and everyone else who has helped me along the way.Without their help, I would not have been able to accomplish this 'tour'. Doing up to 600 shows + 70000 miles a year has been hard and I am looking forward to slowing down and to start spending more time back home with my family. I will still do selected shows over here but not quite as many as before. If you want to see pictures and information about me , you can go to my web site at: www.supertrial.com . Thank you again and keep riding.

post-4-1097159719.jpg

Edited by tahvala

Tommi,

How soon you leaving?

Dad got to meet and watch you in Texas, I didnt get to go this year as I had more or less planned since 02, injury... oh well... someday.

I dont suppose your going to be (or was going to be) at the Oklahoma event (another session in the Central regional trials like texas was)?

Gongrats on the job.

I need a job in the trials and motorcycle industry, think they could use a networking /pc technician and a strugglin but more or less full time trials promoter? :)

Tommi,

Best of luck with the new job. My boy will miss the trials show having seen it many times in and around Detroit. Thanks also for the time spent trying to teach us learners how to ride at TTC. Interested to know who's going to take over the demo trailer.....

Andrew

Tommi,

My boys and I got to see your show in Michigan. We were very impressed. I was most impressed at how personable you are and willing to discuss trials at length with anyone interested.

Congrats on moving forward with your goals in life, but I must say the states will be losing a very nice man to help promote trials.

Tommi - Our 8 yr old son Matthew will really miss you. He met you here in Charlotte, NC USA about 5 years ago, when he was 3 years old and decided then he wanted to do trials. We saw you ride again this year in Atlanta, GA. He has come a long way, and 2 weeks ago in Cornelia, GA at an STRA event, Matthew placed 1st, with only 1 point riding his TXT 50. He will really miss you as you are his hero. Good luck in your new job in Spain, take care of your back, and we hope you will come back to the US again. Maybe we'll see you agin at TTC in the future. Meeting you changed Matthew's life and he now eats, breathes, sleeps, talks, lives and loves trials!!! As his mother, I cannot imagine anything that I'd rather he be doing than riding trials! And you are one of several really awesome role models that we have met in this great sport.

We are truely glad to have met you and wish you much happiness and success!

Take care - Tony, Lydia, and Matthew Powers

I wish I could have found the story on Tommi when he first came to the States.

He said he had a mission to spread the word of trials.

Tommi, from the notes above, it looks as you have accomplished that goal, now... besides being a World Champion, you have the title of, " hero to a 8 year old".

No one can take that away from you either!

Tommi,

Matthew had tears in his eyes last night as he crawled into bed. He said he was really gonna miss Tommi. Now keep in mind that my son has only seen Tommi 3 times in his life.

But my son really cherishes having met Tommi. Like this past January when Tommi called our home to wish Matthew a happy 8th birthday! The phone call lasted over 30 minutes! My son was walking on a cloud after that and got out his atlas. He wanted to "see" where Tommi "came from" on the world map. Then, he wanted to read about Finland.

At the Youth Nationals, we were finally able to buy my son a used 2000 model Gas Gas TXT 50 with the help of a dear friend. We are the 3rd owner of this bike. It is definately USED, but in good mechanical shape. The first thing my son said was "now I have a bike just like Tommi's!"

Matthew was saying his prayers last night, and with a tear in his eye, he thanked God for Tommi and getting introduced to the sport of trials, and a he prayed that Tommi would not forget the people in America, and that Tommi would be kept safe and get plenty of rest at home, enjoy his family, and return to America SOON!

And then he said that one day he wants to go out to eat with Tommi and ride trials with him.

As Matthews' father, I'd say that he has a pretty good guy for a role model / hero!

Tommi, you are a CLASS ACT!

Take care, enjoy being back home, and come back SOON ! :>

Tony M. Powers (Proud father of Matthew)

Charlotte, NC USA

Thank you so much for all the kind words. I know I am going to miss the people I have met here. You will always have a special place in my heart and good memories will last...Actually I am flying back to Finland today and my next show here in USA will be at the beginning of December. And Matthew, maybe you will be a new Tommi Ahvala some day...Thank You,

Tommi

P.S. My good friend Shan Moore at Trials Competition took this great foto, please respect his rights to this foto.

post-4-1097240558.jpg

Edited by tahvala

Tommi,

I have to admit, you ALMOST make me want to ride a Gas Gas!

We are going to miss having you visit us here in Texas on a semi regular basis and giving us a few lessons!(We managed to get one dab out of him last weekend, in a two day event with some spectacular riding!)

If you get a bit homesick, I will ship you a case of Lone Star Longnecks so you don't have to drink that Euro-beer!

You are indeed a credit to the sport and a great fellow!

We wish all the best to you and yours! :D

M.C.

N.T.T.A.

Tommi-

One of the brightest moments in my trials involvement has to be the day you, Charlie Roberts, and Kelly Duncan came to my house to ride. I think about that day often when I am riding those sections. The best thing about your stay here is that I bet a lot of other people could say the same thing about the time you spent with them. I wish you and your family happiness and success.

Best Regards,

Ron Milam