Frozen Carb '05 Gas Gas

joandemma

Anyone had any trouble with their carburettor freezing up, went out practicing with my mate the other day and his bike was running badly. We noticed carb was frozen up (was pretty cold that day) after adjusting the air screw a couple of times, bike seemed to run ok and was warmed up by then. I have an '02 edition and nothing like this has happened to mine.

Yep. My bike was running a bit off on New Years Day because of the cold and damp. You could see the water droplets inside the carb once the slide was out and I'm sure it was that that was causing the problems. I richened it up a bit on the air screw which helped a bit but it wasn't really happy until I got home and it had warmed up a bit outside.

If you warm the bike up then let it stand for 10 mins with the engine stopped the heat works its way to the carb (as there is no cold air going through it). it helps a bit as well

Spot on IKB ! I have a 2005 250 too and i was out a few times over the holidays and suffered the same thing as well. I was told recently to do the same as you described above and was spot on advice !

My lads Gas Gas Boy suffered really bad carb icing on the 10th Jan with near freezing temps and lots of moisture / mist in the air.

I was puzzled until I noticed that the carb body had gone white with frost and then realised that the conditions for internal icing would have been even worse. My 321 was fine but I was only tottering around following him...having said that it is likely to occur at lower throttle settings but I didn't notice anything.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone had any trouble with their carburettor freezing up, went out practicing with my mate the other day and his bike was running badly. We noticed carb was frozen up (was pretty cold that day) after adjusting the air screw a couple of times, bike seemed to run ok and was warmed up by then. I have an '02 edition and nothing like this has happened to mine.

because the air is so cold the air is very dense, so the engine takes in 2wise as much air as usuall. so the petrol air mixture needs to be ajusted on your carb.