315r Age

plankton_brain

Hi All

New here, please treat me gently :thumbup:

I am about (possibly) to purchase a 315r. I want to establish the year before putting in an offer. I read on a few threads that the age can easily be disguised with new graphics, but the frame number does not lie.

My question is: how do you identify the year from the frame number?

My other questions (less important):

Is there any important differences between different years?

The clutch drags but is cleared with a quick blip of the throttle. I have read about various clutch related problems on this board with general consensus being that new oil and maybe clutch plates are needed. Is there anything else to worry about here?

Thanks in advance, and greetings from newbie.

I'm not too sure about the frame numbers. The one on mine doesn't seem to bear any relation to the year unless there's some arcane code that I don't understand (it's possible). They are all basically the same but they changed the forks, frame geometry, engine porting, carb etc as the years went on. If it's got twin pot brakes on it then it's going to be a later one - single pot = earlier.

As HBJ says they are all good really. Can you tell us about the one you're thinking about buying? Colour of tank, colour of exhaust front pipe, colour of fork tubes and make (on the sliders), brakes, type of carb (phbh or phbl)? Things like will help to narrow it down for sure.

Re. clutch. Yes you're spot on with that. A change of oil with some Elf HTX740 (flippin' expensive but the best) will probably sort it, although you may need some plates as you say.

Lift the back end off the ground and put it back down again gently or get the thing on a stand and pull the wheel up to get an idea of the play in the rear suspension linkage. Any significant play means you'll need to replace the bearings in the linkage which is relatively easy but more expense. Same with wheel bearings. They're the things I'd have a look at if I was happy with the engine.

The forks have a bluey sort of colour to them, a bit like an iridium visor. One fork leg has a little adjuster wheel (blue) of some sort on top.

The frame sticker 'montesa' is a black outline. White plastics, red tank I think.

The cooling fan has a manual on/off switch.

Dont know which carb, the choke is a tiny flip up lever if that helps.

I have seen two different types of clutch master cyclinders on 315r's. This one has a 'squarer' top, another I have seen had more 'letter box' proportions.

Thats all I can remember.

"The cooling fan has a manual on/off switch."

...oooooh posh!

Im going to "bling" mine up a bit (tastefully) anodise the foot rests in red, new graphics and plastics and some fork gaurds and frame protectors fro above the footrests where your boots rub. Has anyone got any pics of any "trick" bits they have done on there 315's?? i would also love to get the wheel rims done in red.

Dan