Softening The Power Of 2008 270 Rev3

razor

i have a 2008 270 rev3 and its a bit of a handful, it just seems to take off or wheel spin?

i treid my freinds and his was much easier to ride and control.

i could ride his slow on the banks, but mine seems alot more powerful and harder to control

the only differance i can think of was his was well used and mines not, will mine calm its self down?

i have checked and the flywheel weight is still on.............. so im thinking of trying a slow action throttle

:thumbup:

Slow action throttle should help, check the timing marks on both bikes and see if they are in the same place, is the gearing the same on both 270's? . I had a go on the Surgeons 08 when he got it and it was well frisky

he no longer has the bike, he part ex it for a 4 stroke scorpa? so i cant compare timing, he had his brand new, so his sprockets will be standard, and mine had only been used a few times when i got it, so i expect the sprockets will be the same, although i will check mine to see if they are standard.

I rode a mates '08 bike as we exchanged a while back. The Beta is a bit punchy off the bottom, and he even liked my de-tuned Sherco better, which is somewhat unusual I thought! It still has a pretty nasty mid- range hit to it.

The Beta is very strong yet still smooth and chugs well. The slow throttle will help, yet I might set the timing back just a bit(2-4mm) and look into the Boyesens reeds for a bit more polish. Not for all you see, but it is a sweet bike.

M2C

Two bits of advice, one short, one long and rambling.

Go down one tooth on the counter shaft sprocket. Mellows the bike considerably. I think a sprocket from a techno will fit but talk to your local dealer.

Another thing to check is the carb. The Keihin has very small exit holes for the pilot jet circuit. These can easily be blocked by a speck of dirt or even a bubble of water too small to see without a microscope. I know this because I take my Keihin into work to clean under the microscope every month or so during the riding season. What happens is the pilot circuit gets blocked and the bike runs weak off the bottom. Most riders will just turn the idle screw up. The problem is the bike isn't coming off the bottom cleanly so when you roll the throttle on the bike hesitates until you get to the throttle setting where the needle jet starts to dominate and all of a sudden the bike will become interested in making power and rather abruptly. Most riders will think that since the bike is making plenty of power that it is running properly. Unfortunately when a bike is running this way it's very difficult to ride slowly with control so you start hitting everything a bit harder and can never seem to get your timing right. To test this try riding up a steep hill just off idle in fourth. I can do it on my '08 when it's running right but the bike just won't pull when the pilot circuit is blocked.

The need for frequent cleaning is my only beef with the Keihin. Take the carb off and make sure the airbox and manifolds are properly sealing. White litium grease helps the sealing along with some quality hose clamps. Disassemble the carb and remember cleanliness IS godliness with this carb. Lay all the internals down on a nice clean paper towel. Don't run anything through the jets but compressed air. I know some will tell you to use a copper wire or some other such poking device. Don't! In a pinch the cans of compressed air you can get for cleaning camera lenses will work.

You can spray the holes with carb cleaner if the beast is really dirty but do it outside away from any source of ignition (wearing safety glasses is a good idea since you never know what hole the spray will come out of). If you're really gung-ho about it you can remove the center pillar of the carb body with a torx "security" bit. I think it's a T-20 but I'm not sure sitting here at the computer. Just as long as the last thing you do is the blast of air in all the holes. The reason I say that is you really want to make sure there isn't a water bubble in the pilot exit holes. Seriously the holes are so tiny a bubble of water won't evaporate for weeks because the bubble is so small the surface tension of the water keeps it in place.

OK maybe a third bit of info. On the older Rev3s the 270 had an extra flywheel weight on the pimary drive side making the power build slower and making it easier to get over obstacles with engine momentum. In '07 Beta started putting the weight on the 250. This means that the '07-'08 Rev3s rev up quicker which can make them a handful if you're used to the older bikes. Personally after having an '00, '02', 05 and '08 I can say now that I'm used to the "less flywheel" engine, I'm loving it. I was a little scared of it at first. It always seemed to be on the verge of getting away from me. After a full season though I can say it never has.

Edited by Dan Williams

dan you have just explained to me that when i had my 06 270 i thought it was a great bike, moved to the 07 270 and found it an animal, this prompted me to get an 08 250 which was the best bike i ever had

slowly but surely im getting onto the evo a bit, but its a different kettle of fish all together

i think you are over the top in how you clean your carb out tho, i never take mine off

OCD, heh heh yeah probably. Common among engineers to some degree. We like puzzles and will tune out everything around us to focus on the why of a problem. Yanking the Keihin out to clean it is really no big whoop now. About a 20 minute job but the difference is night and day.

There are two reasons I brought it up though. One was the '95 Techno I had with the Dellorto that couldn't be tuned because jets weren't available. I thought it was an animal too until I put a Mikuni on that I could get jets for and it turned into a pussy cat that still could roar. The other is the times the Keihin on my '08 was dirty and the experiance of just hating the way the bike ran. The 270 can be a handful but it's usually a very well behaved novice bike when it's running right. I'd hate for someone to spend all kinds of time and money to fix a problem that can be fixed for free. Like nippering a hole in the vent tubes on the Mikuni to stop the fuel leaks. Simple and free.