Tyre Beaders

bikespace

I've been thinking of buying Ryan Young's Tyre Beader but it never seems so important until you have to turn or change a tyre again.

I put a new one on this morning in about 7 or 8 minutes, then it took me nearly an hour to get it back in the bead. Eventually managed it with a ratchet strap and a high power airline when I gave up on trying at home.

I'm sure Michelin are making their tyres with a larger diameter these days. I didn't even use a lever to get it back on today, it went on by hand.

Seems strange that on a road bike (where you've got nice painted alloys) the tyres can be a real b1tch to get on, but trials bikes (which could stand a bit more aggro) slip on no problem leaving a big gap to try and fill :angry:

I used to be great at punctures when we had tubes, in a couple of minutes, now it's a full weekend job to get the bloody tyre back on :D

Last time I tried it, the ratchet strap method didn't work and I managed it using a kids inner tube to fill the gap, then ruin the tube ripping it out of the bead.

Would be cheaper in the long run to get one of these tyre beaders if they are any good.

Has anybody used one???????

The inner tube works, but, like you said, it can rip.

Some soapy water works well, but if it's too slippery, the tube pops out before it does the job.

Anyway...Ryan's tire beader works very well.

It too can rip, so keep it lubed.

Keep a bicycle tube around in case you need to seal the other side too...as with a new tire.

For new tires, keep an 18" tube around so you can put it in the tire and inflate it and let it sit for a couple days before installing the tire.

This will spread the bead and help it to seat more easily.

Hinton you fanny :P you IT guys are just not used to a bit of grafting are you?, too scared you might break a nail ;):angry:

Come see me, I'll give you a few tips on tyre changing :angry::D

Clive on Sunday???

Edited by Marky G

Shouldn't think you go through many tyres with only a hairdrier moter to take the edge of 'em.

It's probably the front edge from bump starting it eh? :D

I thought you just bought a new bike once the tyre was rounded?

Yep - Clive tomorrow - I'll be slashing the tyres on your pimp mobile so bring your tyre levers dear.

:angry:

Go on, have a punch up! The Michelins are a nightmare, I always put a tube in for at least a few days before fitting to spread the beads. Never tried using one of the little gas cartriges, anyone know if they will work?

Mark

Would a gas cartridge have sufficient pressure or volume to force a tyre onto the bead?

I have seen someone put some lighter fluid in a tyre then light it - this seated the tyre with a bang - I wouldnt like to try that though!

Never tried using one of the little gas cartriges, anyone know if they will work?

Cyanide you mean. I've considered it a few times after an hour of punching the Michelin in vain.

Lighter fuel??

I'd never have thought of causing a small explosion to get the tyre on the rim, but would be good to watch.....from a distance :D

That'll do for me!

I thought they would probably be good, as the inner tube is nearly there.

I'll have a bit of a look around, as they do seem a bit steep for a bit of rubber especially once they add shipping.

Cheers Dabster et al

Mark

Would a gas cartridge have sufficient pressure or volume to force a tyre onto the bead?

I have seen someone put some lighter fluid in a tyre then light it - this seated the tyre with a bang - I wouldnt like to try that though!

Saw it on TV, I think it was Iceland where they have really wide tyres for Snow work, run very low pressure = they come off the rim quite often.

The guy sprayed lighter fluid inside the tyre, he then struck a match and bingo!! tyre back on rim...pretty cool to watch :D

The gas cartridge works ok for MTB, never tried it on a M/C tyre though.

mark

As for the lighter fluid - glad to hear I was not halucinating when I remembered seeing that at a trial in the Inverness area a few years ago. Yes it did make a bang and was effective. Mind you i wouldnt like to try it close to a bike!