315r Rear Brake Lever

milfy

This problem is not unusual for the Mont as the rear brake lever sticks out a heck of a long way compared to those on other bikes. When you do catch it, it usually bends or breaks.

When I broke my second one in nearly as many weeks, I did a simple mod to it rather than lash another wad on a lever again: I shortened the arm on the broken bit with the tip on it(i.e the bit that your foot goes onto) and then i re-welded this onto the bit that mounts onto the frame. the key thing was to shorten it sufficiently enough for it (once welded back on) to be tucked in behind the casing. This protected it from snagging on every rock that brushes past the right hand case, without compromising your ability to get a foot on the brake. If you want to go one step further still, I also chopped off some of the serrated triangle so that it was even more tucked away.

It may sound drastic and feel awkward at first (different target to hit) but you soon get used to it. If you still don't like it after a couple of weeks at least you've tried to save some money and you've not lost anything. Next and last resort - buy the H and R racing piece!! :thumbup:

only good thing it snapped on the last section so didnt spoil the day :thumbup:

has i will be keeping it for a good few months i may buy the H+D one its the price of 2 so makes sense in the long run

thanks for that just thought it was me, other wise very happy with bike

The pedal normal snaps across the bolt hole for the folding end. This normaly leaves a slot at the end of the pedal. By fileing a piece of alloy to fit into this slot and of a suitable size to get your foot on this can be attached by drilling and tapping from the reverse of the pedal. Worth doing as a spare if nothing else.

Hour or so in the garage and the jobs a good one

The pedal normal snaps across the bolt hole for the folding end. This normaly leaves a slot at the end of the pedal. By fileing a piece of alloy to fit into this slot and of a suitable size to get your foot on this can be attached by drilling and tapping from the reverse of the pedal. Worth doing as a spare if nothing else.

Hour or so in the garage and the jobs a good one

would love to but its in the merthyr sections some where didnt see come off only notice when i was going down the hill to the next one B);)

ordered H+D so will be on for next week end in neath :thumbup:

• 3 months later...
first trial on monty and snapped off the rear brake lever so my question is is this a common failure or just a one off breakage ?

i have seen a after market lever which is twice the price of the normal montesa part so do i replace with stock or after market lever

http://handdracing.com/page3.htm

I just snapped mine off yesterday. The Hand Racing website appears to be unavailable/down, but I see this Moto Merlin rear brake pedal available on eBay:

Rear brake pedal to suit all 315R and 4RT models from 98-09. This pedal comes complete with pivot bearing and seals, cylinder pushrod & folding tip.

Anyone hear good or bad about it?

When I broke my second one in nearly as many weeks, I did a simple mod to it rather than lash another wad on a lever again: I shortened the arm on the broken bit with the tip on it(i.e the bit that your foot goes onto) and then i re-welded this onto the bit that mounts onto the frame. the key thing was to shorten it sufficiently enough for it (once welded back on) to be tucked in behind the casing. This protected it from snagging on every rock that brushes past the right hand case, without compromising your ability to get a foot on the brake. If you want to go one step further still, I also chopped off some of the serrated triangle so that it was even more tucked away.

Do you have a picture of your modification ?