Ty250 Front Wheel Fitment

alan_nc

Hi all,

I know that the front wheel of my 74 TY250 was not on correctly when I bought the bike. I have looked at the pictures in the book but can't see what spacers/bearing/washers go where.

Mine has a split spacer on the right side between the pinch part and the fork tube- the split spacer/tube is longer than the fork tube bottom..... is this correct?

Is there a spacer between the edge of the fork tube bottom and the wheel hub(around the axle)?

On the left: If there anything between the brake hub and the edge of the fork tube(around the axle)?

If someone could send me a close-up picture of the assembled axle shaft that would be great.

Alan ab400@hotmail.com

Alan,

Nothing on the brake side, mounts up flush. On the other side there is a spacer that fits into the hub. The split spacer IS longer and you can then position the lower fork tube for correct fork alignment, then tighten up. Speedo drive is internal in the brake hub.

Tony

Tony,

Thanks, that's the way I hooked it up but wasn't sure. Doesn't seem like the right side is aligned to anything. I don't really know why it would matter but the axle looks like the nut goes on the left - is that your understanding?

Alan

Tighten the spindle nut first, with the fork clamp nuts just loose enough for the split spacer to slide sideways,- this pulls everything in to line, then tighten up the spindle clamp nuts on the bottom of the fork leg.

The TY twinshock doesn't need a tool to remove the front wheel spindle so guessing you have a mono. You just need a large enough allen key with which to unscrew it. I expect a Yam dealer could get you the actual Yamaha tool which also removes the spark plug and rear wheel nut, but it isn't really necessary, just find an Allen key or hex drive large enough.

If you can't, you can always use a bolt with the appropriate sized head with two nuts locked together on the other end to hold them in place. Use one end in the spindle and put a spanner on the other to turn it.

If you have a twinshock it just pulls out after loosening the clamps.

You are correct it is a monoshock.

Looks like a trip to Halfords is needed.

Are you sure it is 14mm? I measured an thought it was 12mm but I could be wrong.

Thanks

As woody said, find a nut or bolt that fits in and take it along as a guide.