Yamaha Majesty Mish-mash Help?

tri5t

I have a very old twinshock TY250 in 1000 bits intending to "do someothing with"!

- The frame is missing a few lugs from the look of it - what is missing from the right of the first photo?

- I want to fit a new footrest kit to it - is there anything missing that wouold stop me from doing so on second photo, and where is best to get a kit - looking for something bolt on preferably, I got one from miller 10 yrs ago for my 175 so similar would be good.

- I want to do the majesty mod and lay the shocks down, anyone any photos of the gusseting involved? I was told the mounts are just welded straight onto the seattube?

- It has a Majesty alloy tank (although the bike obviously isnt a majesty, tank came from a breakers, they thought it was a fantic tank so it was practically free) How does this attach to the frame, it has the rubber lugs at the front which locate into the frame but nothing whatsoever to hold it at the back.

many thanks

dds231.jpg

dds230.jpg

dds232.jpg

Edited by tri5t

Hell mate you did well with that tank. :huh: Re the foot pegs you could get a set with lowering bracket from trial and trail (John Caine) Cut your pegs off, file flush and then you need to drill out and thread where you cut the peg off and the lower bar that holds the bottom engine mount. The pegs come with the bolts. Similar to Millers and he did a kit as well I think. Not sure what is missing on the 1st pic. Not sure about the lugs or tank mount. Dare say Woody will be about later, he knows his onions on Majestys

To the best of my knowledge there is nothing missing in the first photo where the metal is torn, no idea what has happened there.

Bolt on footrest kit is available from Sammy Miller and fits in the way Bo D has mentioned. Trail and Trials may be the same kit, I don't know. You don't want to mount them too far back though as it will make it very light on the front and also bugger up the steering due to the altered riding stance. The modern 'standing in the bike' riding position doesn't necessarily work on older bikes. Just lowering them should be enough really without going back, but personal choice in the end.

The shocks mount directly onto the frame tube yes, but the whole of the rear cradle was moved on the Majesty so you will probably never get the exact positioning on the standard frame. However, just angling them should improve things. A triangular gusset was fitted in the angle between the shock uprights and the seat tubes. See the post in the Yamaha forum about the bike on ebay. Booma has posted a photobucket link to pics of his Yam that has the shocks moved and a gusset fitted with pictures to show. The footrests on the ebay bike are quite a way back though.

The Majesty tank mounts in the same way as the standard tank, two rubber mounts at the front fitted to the tank locate in the C shaped brackets on the frame. Only the seat holds the back of the tank in place.

Edit - Booma has removed his link and replaced with one photo. PM him for his link if you want to see the photos.

Edited by Woody

Not sure the Majesty seat will fit the Yam frame. They are made for the Godden frame and that is a little narrower across the seat rails than the Yam frame. It may not sit right - and for that money you'd want it to sit right.

The part missing in the first picture is the stand bracket as the frame appears to be a TY250A which will have 434 stamped on the headstock. The later models have the stand on the other side on the swinging arm. Not clear from the other pictures what may be missing but there should be a bracket on the top seat tube (right side) to fit the rear silencer and one on the center of that tube for the rear mudguard. Bear in mind that center bracket is slightly offset.

If you angle the rear shocks you can go shorter in length but you will need the Majesty chainguard which is cheap and looks a lot better. The Miller pegs, I have to agree, need bracing as the metal is quite soft. You may find as this is a "A" frame that the bottom rail is not drilled as the later ones are and you will need a threaded rod all the way through. Also the swinging arm bolt, which comes in various lengths, may not be long enough to accept the Miller pegs.

I have some articles on my "Blog" with all the pictures and tips which you might find helpful.

Search in Archives: "Building the Glitzmobile" 13 Nov 2007

"Superglitz goes National" 3 Jan 2008

"77 gets her 2008 Makeover" 28 Jul 2008

"Ahrma Vintage Trials Sandia" 18 Sep 2008 ..... with Mick Andrews riding the Glitz

The tank looks good!

Tony

Not sure the Majesty seat will fit the Yam frame. They are made for the Godden frame and that is a little narrower across the seat rails than the Yam frame. It may not sit right - and for that money you'd want it to sit right.

There is a Maj seat on my bike but they may have changed since 78 ???

post-2285-1232407514.jpg

No, TY frame didn't change after that. The Yam framed Maj still had the red/blue seat but used the standard seat base, it was just re-covered.

If I put the Yam frame seat on my Godden it's not a snug fit and will move from side to side as the curved edges are wider than the frame rails, so I was guessing that the Godden seat would be too narrow for the Yam frame. I'll try mine and see sometime.

Is yours a seat from Craig then Bo? If it is then they obviously do fit as I'm sure he only sells them for the Godden frame, or at least used to.

No that seat was on the bike when I bought it, I didn't realise they were different to the ones used on the Godden framed bike. As you can see all I have done is the front forks and a set of shocks. Moth balled it at present. Craig Mawlems seats are

The part missing in the first picture is the stand bracket as the frame appears to be a TY250A which will have 434 stamped on the headstock. The later models have the stand on the other side on the swinging arm. Not clear from the other pictures what may be missing but there should be a bracket on the top seat tube (right side) to fit the rear silencer and one on the center of that tube for the rear mudguard. Bear in mind that center bracket is slightly offset.

thanks for the advice. It does indeed have 434 stamped on it. Will a later twinshock ty250 swingarm fit as the current one has a hole worn though it from what looks to have been a MX tyre rubbing against it! It has the mudgaurd bracket but the silencer one is missing.

I have spent 2 hours today removing all the remaining bodyfiller from the tank, someone had tried to reshape it for some reason but its back to how it should be with only one dent to refill.

I have been given this rolling chassis as a donor, the wheels and forks are good and the talon sprocket is almost new.

When I cut the shock mounts off do I just weld the stubs onto the seat rail? seems a bit crude to me!

dds239.jpg

dds240.jpg